Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Selling US Classic Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 535Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3166 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  1:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The BST here used to be bustling. Now, it looks like that's not the case anymore. I really liked it since I found all my transactions were with trustworthy members plus the avoidance of a bunch of fees.

Where do you guys go to sell coins in the $1-$200 (or so) range? I'm reticent to try eBay due to fees and the numerous buyer nightmares I've heard time and time again.

I know that walking the bourse floor at coin shows are a definite route, but of course you'll be selling to the wholesale crowd. That's not terrible as long as they're reasonable and not just simply going 20% in back of sheet for everything. Coin shows seem good for now if you're a seller, but that might slow up sooner than later.

For more expensive coins, coin shows can still work, but I guess I might try out Great Collections and just grin and bear it if things sell for less than I'd hope for and then deal with the fees.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4321 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, if a coin sells (or catalogues) at $1.0, chances are it is very common, most collectors have and it is a slow sell. The wholesale crowd probably has 100s and will offer a fraction of the catalogue.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3166 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if a coin sells (or catalogues) at $1.0

I guess I should have noted that most of my coins are well above $1.00. As an example of the lower range I have for sale is what's in the BST now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
647 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am having a hard time selling things as well. Craigslist has been getting a lot less traffic lately and my usual buyers are only interested in niche markets or silver at melt. Coin shows have not been fruitful either, as people are selling the same, non specialized coins for high prices. My only luck lately is selling to local coin shops.

Note that the market now is a sellers market, and not a buyers market.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3248 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sell on eBay, and items from $5 to $2K are selling. The seller's fee of 12.55% (none store) is a large expense that the seller pays for traffic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
649 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Westwood Arms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sell at auction. Stacks and Heritage have 5-10% consignment fees. I unloaded some nice stuff plus a whole bunch of junk for 5%.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have a large collection, then selling interesting coins that have a value in the $1-$200 range, is still possible via public auction.
In these types of cases, the auctioneer will parcel up groups of related coins into interesting auction lots. Individual coins don't have to be 'stars' in their own right, but may well be suitable for forming into interesting groups for auction lots.
Edited by sel_69l
10/28/2021 02:45 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2394 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fox Valley Coins in Naperville IL used to auction coins like yours.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
10/27/2021 11:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
293 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also miss the BST listings on here. It was very popular and recently when I looked I thought I had clicked on the wrong thing because there were only 5 or so listings.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7337 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had good success using Great Collections, their sellers fees are quite reasonable and they seem to draw a lot of buying traffic.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2731 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that its harder to sell things here than it used to be. Unless you price your stuff attractively.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4416 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anything in a slab is easy to sell through an auction service like Great Collections. For ungraded coins low value coins, I'd recommend packaging them together as a lot and sell that on EBAY with a reserve price slightly above what a coin dealer would pay. Chances are you'll find a buyer and it is less work than trying to sell coins individually. You won't get as much but it way less work and if your time is worth say $20 an hour it doesn't make alot of sense to spend two hours selling a $14 coin.

Or just sell ungraded coins to a local dealer. They won't pay much but it also helps the hobby since local shops provide a great "brick and mortar" place where young numismatists can see and touch real coins. Some local dealers also take consignments which can work. Benefits the local economy as well.
Edited by fenton
10/28/2021 12:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1717 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also miss the BST listings on here. It was very popular and recently when I looked I thought I had clicked on the wrong thing because there were only 5 or so listings.

I find the BST listings very hard to navigate. You have to click through each subforum and title to see what is offered for trade or sale. It is just too tiresome as it is now.
Instead, CCF could make one page where it lists all the sales and trades with pictures of each coin, grouped by country and/or denomination.
Click on the pic and get to the person who wants to trade or sell that coin (or perhaps multiple persons). A bit like how Numista works.
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have to keep in mind that CCF has a specific mission to share knowledge and educate users. B/S/T is a tertiary feature at best.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7765 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can agree with Great Collections for auctions both buying and selling. Reasonable fees, partial cash advances on request and great people to deal with.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 535Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: