Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Method To The CRH Madness

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 413Next Topic  
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  12:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add The Detectorist to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just wondering if anyone wants to share their methods of CRH so that we newbies might be able to learn a few things? So far I have developed a method but not sure of it is the most efficient way to do it or not. The main thing I would like to know is how do you go about identifying errors for those that hunt for errors? Is there a data base somewhere for known errors that someone can compare their coins too or do you just look each coin over and if anything stands out to you ask the appropriate folks on this forum about it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1018 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I mainly use these two websites: varietyvista.com and doubledie.com
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My IS Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/411655
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
My Ebay Store: https://www.ebay.com/usr/coinhunter...047675.l2559
ANA # 3204217, CONECA # Y-6505
Pillar of the Community
United States
1619 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there's the CherryPickers Guide and the two websites mentioned. for reference material.

Then depends on how you want to do it, I have a sorting method and then focus on one date, by mintmark at a time. it's not quantity of the hunt but quality of the hunt, for me, and I feel very confident I'm not missing something in my dumps that I over looked. sometimes I just sort and sort and sort and don't hunt until I have a big pile to hunt. the sorting part is mindless really with a decent system and I can do it with glaces while watching tv.

there's more "efficient" ways to do it, but speed or efficiency isn't always a good thing, depends on what you are doing and searching.

when I started I just concerned myself with the ones identified in the RedBook, figuring that was the most value, but there's a lot of little value coins you can find that will add up over time. rather lots of little scores than a rare big score that might never happen, it feels more productive.

So I have a sorting method, once I get them all in piles I resort to just date and MM, and then I stick to it one after another until they've all been looked at really doesn't matter how long I sort for, but I like to have a substantial pile of each date to go over with a loupe and scale. so it's worth the time getting out the reference material.
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Detectorist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My method is somewhat the same..I have some of those divider boxes you can buy at any hardware store. I have each compartment labeled with a date. As I open a roll of coins (I do all the same coins until I am finished with that group i.e. dimes, quarters etc.)I check them all first for silver then I sort them by date and before putting them in their respective bin I weigh each coin. To make sure there isn't anything odd on the weight. Then they all go into the bins till I have all of that denomination sorted. Then I go through each coin individually to try to find errors etc. However I don't have any past knowledge to go from so I appreciate the feedback from you guys who have responded! Maybe some folks don't want to respond because its kind of like giving up your prize fishing spot or something...LOL
Pillar of the Community
United States
5065 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2021  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, first know what errors and/or varieties to look for (when I started out, I threw out some nice DDs thinking they were only MD or PMD) Make yourself a cheat sheet for varieties (CAM, WAM ect) might include photos. Stick with one denomination at first. I started off with cents because I saved all since I was a kid. Divide by decades in cups, jars or what not. Then you can divide those by year. Check the sites listed above for the year (I use VarietyVista.com)

Then once you have learned what to look for you can search rolls one coin after the other without dividing into year.

Good luck, have fun and keep asking when ever needed..
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2021  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Detectorist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Greasy Fingers appreciate the response. I don't see how you could learn all of the errors and know what to look for off the top of your head but maybe you just get used to doing it and it becomes second nature. Seems a bit overwhelming to me at the moment, I think mostly because I don't want a valuable coin to slip through my fingers back into circulation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1055 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you watch Rob Finds Treasure on youtube, he had custom coin mats made for each domination with lists of coins he is likely to find and then he only microscopes those dates and mints. Wish I could get any rolls at all. A bank with a free coin counting machine finally came to my area, and now I can't get the rolls to look through.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 413Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: