Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1890 Crichel House Cache "Raindrop Race Wager" Farthing

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 460Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2896 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  11:55 am Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When I saw this coin on eBay, and read the story behind it, I just had to buy it.

It is an 1890 farthing which has been graded MS-65 Red/Brown by NGC. It is part of a hoard of 4,800 mint state 1890 farthings which were part of a bet in 1890 known as the "Crichel House Cache Raindrop Race Wager".

As the story goes, two gentlemen made a bet one rainy afternoon in 1890 about which of two raindrops on a window would reach the bottom of the window first.

They bet five pounds. The loser decided to pay off the wager by going to the bank and withdrawing 4,800 farthings. The coins ended up being kept, in their original paper wrappings, in the house for well over 120 years before being sold at auction recently.

Many of the remaining farthings have been graded by NGC. It seems that NGC gave them a bulk grade since all the coins I have seen offered online are graded "MS-65 RB".

However, the coin I received looks to be full red.

Here is an interesting article on the cache.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-65-000.html

Next is a photo of the special NGC label for the coins:

And here is the lovely coin I received. It has a nicely rotated reverse.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3836 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely, I knew of the story in an old Coin and Medal magazine from the 1960s. In one of the ads, the seller mentioned the story and was offering the coins at 55/- (2/15- or about $8US) each then and it was quite interesting. Great to see these coins have survived to this day.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2896 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love this photo from the article showing the coins still in their original bank wrappings. Oh, to come across something like this!

Paul Bulgerin
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19581 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He who has the last Farthing laughs the longest (sort of).
Learn More...
United States
23271 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Huh that was pretty interesting. Thx for sharing!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 460Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: