Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1939 Lincoln Wheat Cent (Button On Lincoln's Lapel?)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 327Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  1:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sarge50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Edited by Sarge50
11/22/2021 10:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2478 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would you be willing to post clear photos of the following areas of your coin:

The front line of Lincoln's vest, roughly from the bottom of the bow tie to where the point of the "9" in the date aims at the vest
The dot between "E" and "P" of PLURIBUS
The lower part of the left wheat stalk, just above the stem

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sarge50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@fortcollins, will do sir.wait 1
Pillar of the Community
United States
4065 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sarge50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dearborn.sorry the boss had me for a few minutes! Pics on their way!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4065 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sarge50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was funny! Are we on to something?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62707 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Standing by.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sarge50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@FortCollins.got what you requested posted! We on to something?
Edited by Sarge50
11/22/2021 10:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2478 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Sarge50, The initial photos made me pause, because the front line of Lincoln's coat looked sharper than the surrounding design. Unfortunately, it's not the 1939 re-engraved die variety.

The 1939 RED-001 is a weird and rare variety. I've only seen one in real life, and never located one in the wild. For reasons that nobody can explain, a production die was hand-modified to strengthen the coat line, the period between "E" and "P" and the lower grains inside the left wheat stalk.

There are known re-engraved dies for the 1953 proof Lincoln Cent, 1938 proof Jefferson nickel, 1951 business strike Lincoln Cent, and 1971 business strike Lincoln Cent. There are suspected retouched dies for other dates, as well.

Anyway, I had hopes that you snagged one of these critters, but it isn't one of them. Thanks for taking and sharing the photos! Keep hunting, though.

I can't answer your question about the coat button. Given the known re-engraved die for the date, anything is open for discussion.

EDIT: The re-engraved dies are all extremely clumsy retooling. They obviously weren't done by engravers. I've never heard a logical explanation for their existence. The best guesses are that a bored production floor employee used an unknown tool to carve the dies during down time or that the engraving was actually an attempt to clean grease from a die. Neither or these really answers the question. I could see cleaning the coat line, but the period between the letters? The 2004-D high and low leaf Wisconsin Quarters is another re-engraving mystery. The Inspector General's Report stopped short of calling it die vandalism, but clearly said that something damaged the die on the production floor.
Edited by fortcollins
11/23/2021 10:56 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sarge50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Fortcollins.thank you sir! Now you have my mouth watering and on the hunt for this RARE coin! I have a huge coffee can (10,000) of 1939s I'll be
re-examining Looking for that GEM with "strengthened" coat line, dots and left bottom wheat buds!

Anyone else have an explanation for the button on the lapel? I hope that production line employee though it was funny to put a button their and I found something NEW! I have touched it with acetone and it's not going anywhere and I know ALL can see the distinct "0" on his lapel! What the heck is it? I'm sure some one will say a burst air pocket but there's no eruption sight inside it, a die chip.don't see how it that would make a perfect "0".
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54570 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if it were struck like a button onto the coin:

Would like this. A big incuse mark into the coin and now show anything on the opposite side. But post strike something could move the metal but a contact mark and alter the surface. The metal splashes away from the contact site.

When looking with a scope, this that are really small, really look huge on the scope.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16149 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought it was funny....

Funny how , funny like a clown

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
768 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could it be a dropped letter?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sarge50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Sheldius.that's one I hadn't thought of? Maybe?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54570 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks too small to be a dropped letter issue.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 327Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: