Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown Date 2000 S Penny.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 1,749Next Topic
Page: of 4

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  2:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Necoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey all. Kinda new to this and found this penny today in my pocket. Any information on what I'm looking at would be much appreciated! Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54570 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like something on the coin. Note the devices on that area? Weight?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12530 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Probably glue or some other substance.
Whatever it is it wasn't on there when the coin was struck.
It might come of with acetone but not really worth the effort.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Necoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here's another picture. From what I can tell it's on the coin not something stuck to it. I don't have a scale to weigh it. What can I learn from the weight? Thank you for your reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
3614 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks like a legitimate retained cud with die subsidence and an interior die break.

Planchet striations are visible in the areas not fully struck up, absolutely not just something stuck to the coin.

Incredible find! This a shield cent too?
Edited by Tanman2001
11/22/2021 3:06 pm
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Necoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The backside also has of america flattened out..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1406 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is quite the Cud!
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5880 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very, very interesting. Looks to be well beyond crud accretion. Suggest a long acetone soak to remove any crud which may be present. A couple of close-in, sharp photos taken at an angle--looking into where the feature intersects the rim would--be fun to see.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2517 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Necoins to the CCF!

a monster find... congratulations
Pillar of the Community
United States
4067 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

WOW! Super huge cud! very nice!

But for what it is worth, a coins weight can tell volumes.

For instance if this coin weighed more than the normal 2.5 grams, then it would lead us to think that three was something on the coin.

If it weighs 2.5 grams, then It would lead us to other options like a broken die (such as this).
Pillar of the Community
United States
1994 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the pictures provided I'll agree with Dearborn

Quote:
WOW! Super huge cud! very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1994 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On second thought I should not be able to see part of Lincolns jacket & part of the date in the first picture like it's transparent. Weight would really help out.

Edited by jasper62
11/22/2021 3:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3614 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
On second thought I should not be able to see part of lincloins jacket & part of the date in the first picture like it's transparent.

This is likely a retained cud, which is why some parts of the design are still visible. That piece of the die has separated, but hasn't completely fallen off. Thus, it can still strike the coin, albeit weakly.
Edited by Tanman2001
11/22/2021 3:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1994 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Tanman2001 for that explanation

Quote:
This is likely a retained cud, which is why some parts of the design are still visible. That piece of the die has separated, but hasn't completely fallen off. Thus, it can still strike the coin, albeit weakly.

I've seen a lot of retained cud's on the reverse of LWC in the wheat stalks but never seen a modern day one. That's a rare one and an incredible find.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62707 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please do give us the weight if you can.

to the CCF!
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 1,749Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: