Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

None Of You Will Get This One: 1941 Walking Liberty Half

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 2,233Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
8813 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You could call it the unique "Turd Over Rays" variety and mark it up 3x for its extreme rarity. Marketing!

The turd I am referring to being the CAC sticker.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
3727 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a PCGS holder from 1989, but the surprising thing is the CAC sticker, which means it must have looked good for 20 years before developing ugly toning and stains after 2007.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8813 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was CAC around in 2007?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2102 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am sure you can buy a CAC sticker from eBay and slap it on a slab.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4042 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bit surprised, I assumed I was a bit conservative at PR64, but anything over a 65 seems high, let alone a CAC. Pretty obvious the ED happened post slabbing.

I'm also wondering how you wound up with this, uhhh, interesting example
Pillar of the Community
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does appear on the CAC register.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6376 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
66 did not surprise me at all . that's why I picked it! My guess it was a victim of Katrina.

The coin needs to come out of that holder and head to conservation. Time is your enemy in a situation like this and time is not on your side.

P66 and a CAC sticker means diddly squat on this coin. If you bought the coin at PF60 money you should be fine. Getting it conserved and back into a holder at 63 would be a win . for the coin and for you!

One thing I can guarantee is the coin is suffering a slow death in its current home.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it! Thanks for sharing!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67868 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well said for sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Western has it mostly right. The coin was apparently involved in a fire. I probably overpaid for it at $210.

I haven't decided yet whether to send to PCGS or NGC. I'd say it is hit or miss that it's salvageable.
Edited by pristine2
12/03/2021 6:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1538 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say you didn't overpay for this coin, but there is a lot of risk for not much profit. You have the potential for making money, if the conservation is good and it straight grades. If the coin ends up getting a details grade, you may break even. Very cool pickup, and thanks for sharing!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8797 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I called it! Did the spotting on the coin grow after you got it?
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've only had the coin for a few days ...
Pillar of the Community
United States
5009 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased an NGC coin that had ED, I couldn't tell via the pictures and as I wanted to check whether NGC honors there guarantee I submitted it to NGC for a grade review and they ended up "conserved" it for the the grade review cost, I think this is a good candidate to check out the PCGS guarantee. Just saying.
Edited by hfjacinto
12/03/2021 9:50 pm
Learn More...
United States
112406 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8813 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After conservation, doesn't the coin end up in a conserved holder, i.e. the NCS holder in the case of NGC? That would make the coin less valuable for resale imo.

I think what most people/dealers would do is try to determine whether the ugly is on the surface or whether it has penetrated the surface.

If surface deep, then a dip in a chemical bath done very carefully should restore the coin from the unsightly stains. Then resubmit and hope that you didn't ruin the coin in a way that an expert grader at the TPG would notice.

If it has eaten through the metal you will probably have to find that elusive buyer who loves this particular toning scheme due to some huge trauma they experienced early on in their life.
Edited by numismatic student
12/03/2021 11:20 pm
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 2,233Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: