Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Grading My Future Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 358Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
338 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  07:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jdford to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS, NCG, ANACS, &ICG

Asking for advice on which company y'all would recommend. Basically I know PCGS has the best reputation as I read online. Most of their MS68 and 69 are drop tone coins from what I read, so does that mean if my coin isn't deep toned they'll lower the grade? Seems that's what they prefer for a higher grade.
NCGS also has a good reputation don't really see anything negative about them.
ANACS, is the oldest of the 4 but don't seem to carry the reputation the top two do.
ICG is the youngest, but only by 3 years, they posted how they grade their coins and it seems like a very righteous way to grade coins.
This is all I read online, but I wanted experienced others, much like the magnificent bunch we have here to help me. &
So if you could please direct on who you think would be the best to go with on grading.
Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6759 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps you've considered this already -- What is your long-term goal in going with 3rd party grading services--is maximum resale value most important, is keeping graded/slabbed coins in a personal collection a high priority, other?
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jdford to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not very keen on what to do honestly. What other options are there other than third party grading? Whether I sell or keep will be half and half I think. I haven't necessarily decided on selling anything as of right now.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20558 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At coin shows I usually hear people say things like of course it cost more it was graded by PCGS.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jdford to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just Carl, correct that's what I read online as well, but it always seems like a repetitive conversation or air talk not an experienced one. Main reason I wanted to ask here.
I always collected coins, and could always see an error, but never knew how or reason for the error. Very ignorant in mint state status, I only just started on eBay because I joined here and saw the experience, I was worried about being screwed over to much.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1127 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well with Morgans anyways if you want to sell then PCGS if you want to know what the grade really is then ANACS.
NGC for world coins and tokens.
PCGS and NGC cost more to grade than ANACS

Id say though common coins then ANACS , High Dollar coins I would do PCGS
Though ANACS holders are kinda ugly in my opinion.
Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC is my vote
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4144 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  11:01 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Overall value for money .ANACS.
Conservative grading , you can actually talk to the
CEO !
World Coins ..NGC
Will not use PCGS unless I have to .
Pillar of the Community
United States
4593 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have coins from each of the grading services you listed. For me as I care only about the authenticity or if its a common date coin all 4 are acceptable. I'll buy the price/grade and not the grader.

For the registry set coins, I'm trying to keep it to NGC/PCGS, although a a few of my IHC are Anacs. If its a valuable coin (not a high grade but valuable like a 16-D, 1909 S VDB), I would have no issues with PGCS/Anacs/NGC, if it's a high grade, the high grades from PCGS seem to have more market acceptability.

My only ICG coin is below, I used them as they authenticate counterfeits ;)

Edited by hfjacinto
12/08/2021 11:30 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3286 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS & NGC - Best value at time of resale. PCGS for high end coins returns the best value.
ANACS - Cost effective grading. The ANACS holder is a neutral at time of resale, but a lot of collectors only want NGC or PCGS.
ICG - Is a negative at the time of resale.
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy a lot of slabbed coins but I don't send any in to get slabbed. I try to buy coins that look undergraded which they all seem to do at times. I see a lot I consider overgraded in slabs. I've been impressed with the few I've seen from IGC. I think they grade conservatively and will designate a Morgan for instance as obv dmpl if it has a deep mirror obverse but not reverse. I don't believe the others designate like that.
I'm waiting for something better before I pay to have my raw coins slabbed. Third party graders are just too inconsistent for me to spend money on. In this day of computer optics I believe it won't be long before human error will be eliminated in grading.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 358Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: