Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Suspicious Ebay Listings

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,054Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
181 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  6:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Fefimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The seller profile is listed as being from Epsom UK with no auction for 6 months. Now shipping is from Romania with no returns. Tried reporting as suspicious but I couldn't find anywhere to comment my suspicions just generic drop down boxes. 3 listings with the photos from nice website.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/CANADA-1-ce...154736681241
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4132 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why do you think that it's suspicious? The coin is not a DP#5.! Without better photos it looks like a scarcer variety, a 9/6. See if you can backtrack to see if the coin and the NGC # matches.
Edited by okiecoiner
12/08/2021 8:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
941 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the reverse die cracks at leaves 2 and 4, this would be a Haxby PC59-74 ( Obverse 29 and reverse F4a ). As Okiecoiner said, definitely not a DP9 #5 and not a major re-punched 9. It's a common die pair.
Pillar of the Community
United States
501 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could be a scammer, but I have ordered some coins from a legit seller in the middle east and the coins were shipped from Australia [or vice versa]. Some ebay sellers are middlemen that just organize sales for people that have stuff they want to get rid of.

I think as long as they sell on ebay, sellers are required to take returns no matter what they state in the auction.

Lastly, and most importantly, ebay doesn't care as long as they get paid.

Just remember, "caveat emptor."
Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves -- Witch Hunt
Edited by CentSation
12/08/2021 9:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1856 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree a regular 1859 with photo's provided to prove its a DP9 you would need better pictures defiantly not a 1859 DP9 #5.
Pillar of the Community
United States
941 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sent a letter to the seller on Wednesday evening to let them know that their coin wasn't a DP9 #5 and gave them the specific markers that identified the coin as a Haxby PC59-74. I also gave them a link to the Haxby catalog so they could check it out themselves. I didn't get any response back from them and the listing is still active and up to $ 300.00 when I last checked.

If one of the moderators would change the title of this thread to something like "wrongly attributed 1859 DP9 #5" it might give warning to some bidders if they visit this forum. I would hate to see someone pay that much for a very common 1859 die pair.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1856 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have herd through the grape vine hey have been contacted by others as well about it not being a DP9 #5 making me think they already know its not the proper I.D. of the coin.

Buyers beware
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1505 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I enlarged the coin as much as possible.
MO, until someone can see the coin in hand, is the same: it is not a # 5.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1856 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2021  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sold for $485.00 someone's not going to very happy
Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2021  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, but it's been slabbed! Doesn't that make the grade and attribution acceptable without question? There are some of us who take fiendish delight in "deslabbing" new purchases. It must be some kind of gene flaw or viral affliction. Maybe I should double mask when I go out...
Pillar of the Community
United States
941 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2021  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love that cracking sound!

Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've trained my chop saw. But, of course there are times when one wants to keep a coin in a slab. And once (and once only) I sent a coin in to be slabbed. That was my 1859 brass cent. The slabbing was for the attribution, not the grade. I decided it was worth so much money (and I had the same die pair in bronze) that it had to go and the buyer insisted it be slabbed.
Edited by JHax
12/14/2021 10:00 pm
Learn More...
Canada
10044 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2021  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a band saw to 'crack' my slabs.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2613 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
does NGC have some sort of guarantee?

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2532 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one for you...looks like ebay is turning more and more into etsey. Also they just threw in 35,000 CAD in the picture as if it has some kind of relevance.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/393778678501

Edit also the seller has pictures of a bunch of different coins but then his description lists only 4 coins? Is this breaking rules?
Edited by Wrekkdd
12/16/2021 12:44 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,054Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: