Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1922 Weak D LWC Recent Aquisition

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 588Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  9:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A recent aquisition 1922 "weak D" LWC. Highly worn coin or late stage die set, or both? Grade?

Edited by EDM
01/08/2022 10:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1525 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A decent amount of wear, but also a late die state. Some XF/AU coins can look VG because of the die state. This one exhibits evidence of wear. Nice coin!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67731 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the face of it you'd guess G-06, wouldn't you?

But thinking much better for reasons the TPGs will never explain.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17875 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  01:11 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin appears to have been buried. Surface pitting is obvious. It was probably found in the dirt, cleaned and it gradually retoned long ago. The odd red color is also an indicator. IMO, this is not a weak D, just a highly worn and previously corroded coin.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
01/09/2022 01:12 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1514 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, the 22-D Lincoln is a strange one alright, especially the weakly struck ones. It is one of my favorite of the Lincoln's to collect, as I have like 12 different ones.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8052 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with EvilThad. I have (or had) a similar '22 D which exhibited a fine pitted look, worn soft over years of circulation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1422 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1922 LWC is one of my favorite coins as well, whether it's a 22-D, a weak D or a no D. To have a Denver coin appear to have been manufactured in Philadelphia has always fascinated me!
Edited by jpsned
01/09/2022 12:46 pm
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
BadThad: It was probably found in the dirt, cleaned and it gradually retoned long ago. The odd red color is also an indicator.

The camera I use is a Coolpix AW110 (bright orange) and it casts an orange color reflection in my closeups. In hand this coin appears as the typical brown. I usually adjust the color but in this case I forgot.
Edited by EDM
01/09/2022 1:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6088 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7464 Posts
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, this is my very first purchase of a Lincoln Wheat cent and I only have two remaining vacancies, the 1909S and the 1909S VDB. All the others I collected from circulation dating back to when I was a kid in 1966.
Edited by EDM
01/14/2022 5:54 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67731 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's quite an accomplishment! Can you show us some of your better finds?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3718 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The D seems a tad strong for a weak D, but very close. That's a seriously great accomplishment over the past 50 years. Unlikely you'll find the two remaining in circulation at this point, but it's amazing that you found the 14-D and all the semi-keys from circulation.
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was working at a restaurant in 1974 and the boss let me go through all the coins. He'd even call me at home if he found something cool. I think there must have been a customer who was raiding a coin collection. We would regularly get old stuff; rolls of Buffalo nickels and Mercury dimes, a few Standing Liberty quarters, even a couple of Morgan dollars. I'd also cash my paycheck at the bank in coins, pulling all the old stuff. Oldest was an 1865 IHC, also a couple Seated Liberty dimes. Filled out my Jefferson and Roosevelt series this way too. Then I went to college and forgot about it all until I cashed in the silver in 1979. And then never looked at it again until 3 years ago (busy with work and raising kids) when I noticed a 2019W quarter in change.
Edited by EDM
01/15/2022 11:48 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8052 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those were the days...
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A good one to fill a what many call a controversial hole!
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 588Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: