Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1969 S Lincoln Memorial Cent/Help W/Identification

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 678Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
426 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  11:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Skippy72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good evening. I got this back along with other change last week. I'máhaving a hard time focusing because of the luster so I didnt get the images I wanted everyone to see. Any thoughts on the word "Liberty"? I'mápretty sure I can show doubling but on the other devices there is thickness present, as well as in the date. But my eyes are far from close to fair. Have a look...

Edited by Skippy72
01/10/2022 12:47 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1513 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  12:59 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like extreme Mechanical Doubling on LIBERTY. I can't see much besides that because of the blurry photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2443 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a doubled die. Looks like a combination of worthless Machine Doubling and glare from multiple light sources on LIBERTY. I recommend buying a cheap USB microscope if you plan to get into this hobby (I got mine for about $10 on ebay, and it works just fine). Pictures of this quality are going to make it very hard to give you help on anything more ambigous than this.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
1972-P DDO-008/FS-108: http://goccf.com/t/405558
2000-D Maryland Quarter Rotated Die http://goccf.com/t/394553
1988-P "Reverse of '89": http://goccf.com/t/399390
Massive strike through error on 1957-P Jefferson nickel http://goccf.com/t/402781
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44602 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  12:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skippy72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never seen any time of "Severe" Mechanical Doubling that this coin is being defined as representing. Nor have I seen 2 of each letter in a word having separation from each other like the ones in the word Liberty clearly shows. The images I posted are definately far from great, with lighting and luster being so influential. (Only one source of lighting, with lots of luster). Although I appreciate the opinions and respect the knowledge of each, I dont agree.
Edited by Skippy72
01/11/2022 12:45 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8370 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  12:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think mostly you have a problem with all the glare from your lighting source and your coin's ultra shiny surface. Try using daylight.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2269 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  03:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MD the signs are there.
Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are only 2 confirmed DDO's for the 1969-S LMC according to both VV and Wexler.

The first is the famous one with drastic doubling on Liberty, but also drastic doubling on IGWT and the date.

The second shows only light doubling on part of the date.

The fact that your cent shows potential strong doubling only on Liberty strongly suggests it is neither of those examples and Machine Doubling is the more likely explanation.

Unfortunately, better photos are really the only thing that's going to help clarify this further.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2910 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
bad lighting...glare

Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skippy72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am fully aware that this coin is not "The Big One" or number 2. But because of that, that automatically makes it Machine Doubling? Not a possible New Discover? Doubling is clearly visible, atleast to me, in the cross bars of the letter "E", the circles of the "B" inside the B and the "R" inside the upper circle and even its right leg coming down. That is in no way Machine Doubling or the glare from aight source. Let me be clear here as well. I'mánot arhuing about trying to make this coin out to be anything its not. But it is not MD in the word Liberty. I'mágoing to try and get images for it that match what I'máseeing for myself. Thanks guys...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57328 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not possible to have a doubled die if the die did not create it. The machine creates Machine Doubling. It also creates Machine Doubling on the doubled die as well. Your coin is showing the typical MD. That is why were are calling it, Machine Doubling. There is no Doubled die on your coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not a possible New Discover?

In theory, it's absolutely possible. But given how well known the famous 1969-S DDO is, 1969-S LMC's are looked at by virtually every coin roll hunter and dealer out there. It's one of the key dates in the hobby. How likely is it that a DDO this dramatic went undiscovered for 52 years?

At the end of the day, you have the coin in hand and only better pictures are going to help anyone see what you are seeing.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57328 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But the evidence of Machine Doubling, makes more images useless.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44602 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Skippy72,
WADR: if you want us to help you,you need to help us by posting good quality photos.
John1
Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  02:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skippy72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1 I couldnt agree more. You all know your stuff and that Id never contest. And you go by what is presented to you. Yes the 1969 S Cent has been under scope for years decades but this coin hasnt judging by its state and luster and I truly believe I have something here and I am going to get the images of it captured and re-present it to you all as soon as I can. Thanks to all for your time. I shall return....
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44602 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  04:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 678Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: