Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hi, I'm A Noob And I Could Use Some Help! (1867 Nickel)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 465Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  5:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KeefO to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Like the title says, I am a noob and would really appreciate help identifying this 1867 Nickel I purchased off of EBAY. I have had no luck searching for it and I do not want to go to a coin shop unarmed with no idea of its value or history.

like I said, any info is better that what I have, thanks!

Learn More...
United States
108551 Posts
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to ccf
Appears to me as a counterfeit 1867 5C Five Cents, Judd-561 Pattern Coin.
Edited by Jakes Coins
01/10/2022 5:20 pm
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KeefO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here's a little better pic

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KeefO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Counterfeit? Do you really think so, what is the tell?
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks off to me. The Judd-561 Pattern coins were all struck as proofs & that does not appear to be a proof coin.
Edited by Jakes Coins
01/10/2022 5:24 pm
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KeefO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish I had a better grasp on this stuff, thats why I am on here, but do they counterfeit coins like this often? I had never even seen pictures until you gave me the judd-561 info
Pillar of the Community
United States
6220 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect the coin is counterfeit.

Photographing the coin head-on, on a flat, non reflective surface will go a long way in helping us to help you. Sharp focus is a must.

to the Community!

Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wish I had a better grasp on this stuff, thats why I am on here, but do they counterfeit coins like this often? I had never even seen pictures until you gave me the judd-561 info
Hope you didnt pay too much, unfortunately they do counterfeit all coins especially morgans / peace / bust / Seated dollars / rare dates / patterns etc.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13282 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitley a counterfeit and not even a good one
See if you can get your money back from eBay
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KeefO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont think I paid $5, but it was certainly something that caught my attention just because I had no knowledge of patterns like this and it peaked my curiosity
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KeefO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really appreciate all the help, this is why I came here. I am glad that I didnt invest any $ into it, but I can certainly start to look a little closer at future purchases! Most of my collection I have found metal detecting and such, so the concern was never really there, but I guess EBAY is where anything is possible
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KeefO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One more thing, in the future, should there be more contrast between the background and the devices on the coin?
background shiny and devices should be frosty and more distinctive?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2052 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would file a claim with ebay even though you only paid $5. The only way to stop these people is to make it hurt their wallet. In the future I would register at Heritage Auctions (free) and look up the coins before you purchase them. A search of their auction archives on "1867 5c" and coins matching yours pop right up. You would have quickly seen that these sell for several thousand dollars. Post the seller name so we can see what else they're scamming.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1424 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I dont think I paid $5...

A fairly inexpensive lesson in counterfeiting all things considered. But like kbbpll said, I think you should file a claim.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64437 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 465Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: