Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Maya Angelou American Women Quarter On The News

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 416Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10250 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  11:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am glad to see coins on the news or in TV shows and movies. I think it draws collectors to the hobby. The first "New" quarter is released.
Maya Angelou was a California poet. I never heard of her before this quarter program. I don't see a lot of effort in the Washington portrait. It resembles the 1732 1932 George Washington Bicentennial" Brass Medal portrait only shortened some.

Get used to it though, the program will go to 2025 with 5 different women issues per year.
I think the second image below shows why business coins come directly from the mint with contact or "bag" marks.

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
01/11/2022 11:21 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5074 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too saw it mentioned on my local news..."first black women on a US coin"...but nothing about the new obverse being designed by a women...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Learn More...
United States
22042 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps a little more info on @bobby's thread here:

http://goccf.com/t/404393
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5442 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10250 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I wrote:

Quote:
I don't see a lot of effort in the Washington portrait. It resembles the 1732 1932 George Washington Bicentennial" Brass Medal portrait only shortened some.

I wasn't knocking the design. I was implying that it was copied from elsewhere, that I knew I saw it before. That it being a change in design, not a lot of effort was put into that. It was already done for them.
I did not know it was the work of Laura Gardin Fraser, wife of James Earle Fraser, designer of the Buffalo nickel.

I can now surely understand the idea of using a woman sculptors work such as hers for the obverse. So it is definitely fitting. It makes sense.
She has sculpted designs for several of my very favorite commemorative half dollars and medals. The 1947 Philippine MacArthur 50 cent and Peso coins as well.

I am glad for one thing. George Washington will still be on the obverse for at least a few more years.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I've read, placing the Fraser design on the obverse was "righting a wrong", in that the Fraser design was the one originally chosen by the mint for the 1932 quarter dollar, yet the treasury secretary stopped it and chose his own personal favorite instead.

The purpose behind this program is clearly stated in its authorizing legislation, Public Law 116-330, The Circulating Collectible Coin Redesign Act of 2020. I assume the Mint made good money monetizing copper and nickel disks under the last two programs. In 2026 comes the SemiQuinCentennial design. In 2027 the quarter will feature Sports Played By Children, and the half dollar will feature Sports Played By Disabled People. All of these are required under this law and will take us up to 2030. Another interesting twist mandated by this law is that none of the women can be portrayed by a head and neck or a bust. They must be only the face or at least a head and torso.
Edited by EDM
01/12/2022 10:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
909 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add n9jig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will there be a Crossing the Delaware reverse issued in 2022?

If so will it have the Fraser effigy or the Flanagan one from 2021?
Learn More...
United States
108551 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Will there be a Crossing the Delaware reverse issued in 2022?
No. It was a one year issue.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4624 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I wasn't interested in these, but my wife is VERY interested and so that means I'm interested. So I added the Silver Enrollment to my account at the US Mint.
Learn More...
United States
108551 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well I wasn't interested in these, but my wife is VERY interested and so that means I'm interested. So I added the Silver Enrollment to my account at the US Mint.
Happy wife, happy life.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 416Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: