Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1979 S Susan B Anthony Dollar Obverse And Reverse Major Lamination Errors

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 220Next Topic  

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  7:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CRHunting to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Everyone,
I ran into this coin in a coin roll. It looks like it has lamination errors on both the obverse and reverse of the coin.

Is a coin like this worth getting sent off to ANACS to get slabbed and verified? They are much cheaper than PCGS for error coin grading but even at say $~12 per coin during a special or bulk rate I'm not sure if it's worth sending.

Thoughts?

Learn More...
United States
22042 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@crh, how sure are you that those are lams? They look more like surface stains and corrosion to me. Let's see what the others think.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to say impurities in the nickel layer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2366 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something very corrosive. PMD
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1488 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seem to be acid.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5443 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
6796 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exposure to a caustic substance, it seems. Imagine a coin like this submerged in a (chemically) caustic muck, like very wet acidic or alkaline soil. Not a lamination issue, such as those found in copper cents. Suggest not submitting the coin to a third party grading service. If you do, let us know the outcome.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CRHunting to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Come on, all this talk of acid is really ruining the excitement I had for this coin. Can't you just tell me it's an insanely rare coin and that I might as well quit my job since I'll be able to retire after it's auctioned? :-)

Some of the boarder lines between the clad and the missing clad are so crisp I just wasn't expecting it to be from acid damage.

Learn More...
Australia
14025 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely acid damage, sorry. That's corrosion inside the pits, which is why it's changed to all funky colours.

Quote:
Some of the boarder lines between the clad and the missing clad are so crisp I just wasn't expecting it to be from acid damage.

Sharp borders between acid-damaged and non-acid-damaged areas are exactly what I would expect if a puddle of something corrosive was sitting undisturbed on the coin for a prolonged period. My guess would be the coin was placed on a flat surface facing reverse-up, corrosive liquid was placed on top (the reverse), and some of it spilled over the side of the coin , seeped underneath and caused the corrosion patch on the obverse.

Finally, there's the technical aspect. While it would not be unreasonable to find a solid metal coin with "lamination flaws" on both sides (if the flawed blob of metal was large enough), a clad coin is not made from a single solid piece of metal. It's made of three separate pieces of metal, bonded together by explosive force. In a clad coin, you can have a lamination flaw in the piece of cupronickel on one side, or the piece on the other, or (technically, though impossible to detect) in the copper core in between. But the chances of two similar but independent flaws from two independent pieces of metal, that just happen to line up to manifest themselves on the same coin, are infinitesimally small.

In other words, I'm pretty sure that finding a clad coin with "lamination errors on both sides" is functionally impossible. Occam's Razor says the two errors ought to have the same cause, and that cause is most likely to be acid damage.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1488 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CR you talk about two different coins. On the thread you link was an Morgan and this thread discuss Anthony dollar. Two different process of fabrication. The Anthony dollar is clad NiCu on core cooper. So if was caustic chemical:
Quote:
nickel alloys may suffer either stress-corrosion cracking
or general corrosion in hot, concentrated caustic solutions.

You has the answer.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CRHunting to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I'm definitely glad I asked. Thank you all for the extremely helpful information. You just saved me some money since I had been leaning toward sending it off.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 220Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: