Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Low Grade Hand Me Down 1882 CC Morgan

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 534Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
64 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  12:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coinhole to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi. My grandfather left me 36 Morgans, plus many other coins. I have been slowly going through them for years now. Not many great examples, but still it has been fun and interesting. He got me into coins at a young age hunting for mint marks, silver and Wheaties. Anyway, not a bad coin for the price. What do you guys think? Oh and should I give it an acetone bath? Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
516 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjkedel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately pretty harshly cleaned. I don't think acetone would do it any good.... but ... a great hand-me-down from your grandfather. A keeper for that reason for sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2072 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Check RK55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add RK55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would leave it as is. Stick it in a 2x2, still a nice coin to keep passing down.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinhole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. Yes, unfortunately someone down the line abused this coin. But still sentimental value and its pretty cool that only a little over a million of these were produced over 140 years ago. Nice little piece of American history.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2280 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I might be temped to buy an upgrade and pass down the upgrade with the same story.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64439 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaning is evident but not that bad. Nice keepsake, but worth less than $100 whether you hold on to it or not.
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A great cc for an album.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7459 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great family heirloom coin - but numismatic value is seriously degraded by a prior harsh cleaning.

Quote:
Cleaning is evident but not that bad.

@coinfrog - look at Ms Liberty nose and scan the obverse fields there. That's brillo pad or wire brush level cleaning. I say its harsh level cleaning that seriously devalued this coin.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinhole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll probably keep it for now, but I do like the idea of an upgrade to pass along. A few of the 36 Morgans look decent but some are very worn almost culls. I might just trade most of them for one that is somewhat respectable.
Learn More...
United States
108551 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me the sentimental value overrides all else. I would not be able to trade them for "something better" because it is only a cosmetic improvement. The real value is lost.

There is no reason you could not add something better to this collection. Then the next generation will then have two generations of coins, showing a symbolic "progress" between them.

Similar to how I feel about my two Ike sets. The lower grade set in the Dansco, which was completed in my youth; contrasted with the higher grade PCGS set I completed more recently. Each set has its own story to tell. They compliment, not compete with each other. Each set represents a different time in my life.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1045 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally,I'd keep every coin your grandfather left you separately.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Learn More...
United States
108551 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Personally,I'd keep every coin your grandfather left you separately.
Not a bad suggestion.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinhole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. You're right. I know I would regret it one day. The CC is in a 2x2 with the others and that's where it will stay. Thanks again for the advice and wisdom, as always I appreciate it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1133 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats a keeper due to family value . I wish I had a few of my grandfathers coins regardless of what they where.
Learn More...
United States
108551 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You're right. I know I would regret it one day. The CC is in a 2x2 with the others and that's where it will stay.
Excellent!

Quote:
Thats a keeper due to family value . I wish I had a few of my grandfathers coins regardless of what they where.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1043 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice coin, if I had it in hand I probably would not even notice it was cleaned.
I would keep it.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 534Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: