Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Bought This Peace Dollar Online Seeing From Pics That It Has A Rotated Die.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 343Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  01:22 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add stvnnvts999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this Peace dollar online seeing from pics that it has a rotated reverse die.
As soon as I got it in the mail earlier this week, I tried to see if I can measure the rotation with a protractor in person and closer saw that the reverse has a 15-ish degree rotation in the clockwise direction.
Is this kind of error that common?
Does it add any sort of premium over the coin?
Should I consider getting it regraded?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
42814 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  04:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. If it is rotated, it is not off enough for a premium. http://rotateddies.com/
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
6774 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Place the coin in front of a mirror and take a single photo showing the obverse and reverse--post what you get. Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64374 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking coin, but I don't see a premium here.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11220 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
as a side note, the coin looks more like an MS65 than a 64 based on the photos
Pillar of the Community
United States
986 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:26 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the entire coin is slightly rotated in the holder.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13250 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No sense in getting it regraded, you would get the same result.
Most collectors like a a minimum of 90 degrees rotated and preferably 180 degrees.
There is not much value in slight rotations as they are within spec.
Edited by JimmyD
01/14/2022 12:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2051 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the coin is already rotated in the holder. If you rotate the obverse such that IGWT becomes level with the holder, then the die rotation of the reverse becomes less. Either way, not enough for any premium.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stvnnvts999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do you mean, I see that the obverse looks slightly rotated counter clockwise within the holder by looking at the "IN GOD WE TRVST" but even if the obverse was completely centered within the holder, that would still offset the reverse be like another degree or two in the clockwise direction? I thought the fact that the coin has been already graded would give people a better understanding of what I'm talking about?
Pillar of the Community
United States
986 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are correct that this coin has a degree or two rotation, then it is insignificant enough to be common and not carry a premium.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23068 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6774 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would love to see a photo using a mirror shot. Thanks.

Yes, nice coin.
Edited by ijn1944
01/14/2022 3:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4468 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems accurately graded and doesn't appear to have any significant die rotation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
907 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
2051 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What do you mean, I see that the obverse looks slightly rotated counter clockwise within the holder
If you rotate the coin clockwise in the holder about 5 degrees so that IGWT is level, you are simultaneously rotating the reverse of the coin counter-clockwise in the slab. Thus if you are perceiving a degree of die rotation based on the slab edge, once the obverse is level then the perceived rotation of the reverse in relation to the slab edge is less. I should have put "perceived" in my original comment.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 343Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: