Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1936 Albany, NY - House Vs. Senate

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 126Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7057 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  08:39 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Act that authorized the Albany, NY Charter commemorative half dollar, specified that all coins issued "shall bear the sate 1936, irrespective of the year in which they are minted or issued." When the bill proposing the coin was introduced in the House, it did not include such a requirement.

The original proposal, introduced in the House on April 23, 1936 by Representative Parker Corning (D-NY), stated "The coins authorized herein shall be issued in such numbers, and at such times as they shall be requested..." A multi-year program would have been a very real possibility.

The bill was referred to the House Committee on Coinage, Weights, and Measures and was reported back with several amendments. Most significant among the recommended revisions was a change in authorized mintage from the requested 10,000 coins to a less-exclusionary 25,000; the recommended amendments were passed and the revised bill was sent to the Senate. Note: The Committee's amendment recommendations did not restrict the coin's issue dates.

When the Senate Committee on Banking and Currency took up the House-amended version of the bill, it noted the open-ended nature of the bill and recommended that the "loop hole" be closed. The Committee recommended an amendment via substitution that specified the coins be struck only by a single mint (vs. potentially all), that all of the struck coins be dated with the year in which they were authorized (not struck!) and that all coins were to be struck within one year of the coin's bill becoming law.

The full Senate approved the substitute language recommended by its Committee and sent the bill back to the House for consideration/concurrence. The House concurred with the new language of the Senate-amended bill and passed it without debate. President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the bill into law on June 16, 1936.

The Senate again saved collectors from a potential multi-year program!

1936 Albany, NY Charter 250th Anniversary

For other of my posts about the Albany, NY Half Dollar, check out:

- 1936 Albany, NY Charter 250th Anniversary
- 1936 Albany, NY Charter 250th Anniversary - Ephemera
- 1936 Albany, NY Charter 250th Anniversary - Unused Funds
- 1936 Albany, NY Charter 250th Anniversary - Coins with Flora Thread

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64375 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great backstory as always!
Learn More...
United States
108449 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Very interesting!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7454 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Hooray!

I recognize this thread as an amazing knowledgeable tangent from a questions I humbly posted in an earlier thread.

Truly no pressure commems to fulfill the questions on 'avoided coins' - it was simply a research inspired thought of mine - with no expectation of placing a burden upon you.

Truly appreciate, value and enjoy all that you bring to us commems.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7057 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Truly no pressure commems to fulfill the questions on 'avoided coins'

But I'm here to serve...

I started addressing this topic via multiple issue-specific posts back in December 2020 / January 2021 and always meant to return to it - you've given me an excuse to do so!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 126Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: