Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's Up With This Penny 1986? So Many Scrathes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 245Next Topic  
Canada
23 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  10:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MrMartinez to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Bedrock of the Community
United States
44614 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also showing ridge ring. The scratches are from die abrasion. It is a well-used die.Not an error or variety.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
14647 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mint worker didn't polish it up after is was abraided.
No value to it but keep as a good example.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67617 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die polishing lines for sure - note how they lie underneath the raised devices on the coin, not on top.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57348 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An incuse mark on a die will leave a raised line on the coins struck by that die. These are seen after a die has been polished, perhaps with a wire brush. The polishing removes die events. Clashes, Feeder Finger Damage and die gouges and die dents. This removes part of the field area and removes die flow lines. When the fields are reduced, part of the width/height on the devices are reduced in size as the devices are tapered.
Thus remove the bottom edge of the devices makes the devices thinner/smaller in size:

Isolated polishing can remove more metal that needed at times.

Sometimes the polishing removes even edges of devices, and sometimes enhanced to restore an edge. (but note the size of the date devices, you can tell that die polishing took place there.

Possible damage to the outside edge of the die, like a die dent, this die was polished so much that the tops of the devices were almost removed.

Seeing the images side by side you can tell how much it was altered on the first polishing of the die. With out the side by side, it may look normal to the untrained eye.
Feeder Finger Damage that is very deep affect the devices the most. They try to polish the die to rescue it from being retired.

I have many more examples, but probably everyone is getting the point. If you want to see more, let me know and I'll keeping adding to this post:

CoopHome: I hear a lot about die polishing, how much does it really affects the dies?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
01/16/2022 11:53 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 245Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: