Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's A Good Camera That I Can Leave Plugged In While Shooting Grouped Coin Shots?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 486Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  6:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Johnathan55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi! Sorry if the title is a little confusing, and I know this question must get asked a lot, but I was looking to upgrade from my old ELPH 330 HS (A camera not really built for the task to begin with) to something more modern with better features.

I like to take group-shots of coins for my eBay listings, and the camera I have now has a very small battery. By the time I'm done arranging the coins for the pictures, the battery is already dead, and it must be removed from the camera and charged, which is a hassle.

I'm hoping to find a camera that takes decent macro shots, can continue to shoot while plugged in, and being able to send the pictures it takes over WiFi from the camera itself would also be a wonderful bonus.

I'm also struggling to get the lighting right when the subject is more than one coin, half of them are always too bright while half are too dark, but I'm guessing this is more of a lighting issue then any fault with the camera, I'll have to study up on that.

Thanks to everyone for any recommendations you may have!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3431 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My standard recommendation is the Canon Rebel XS. With its 18-55mm lens it can shoot Dollar size coins, so if the groups of coins you're shooting are larger than that, you're set. It can be tethered by USB (not wifi, too old) and the software allows you to view the coins on your (Windows) computer screen. You can run it continuously with an AC adapter that is available on eBay or Amazon, so no battery charging.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  03:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mjkzz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure about your budget, but my Sony A7III can be powered from USB 3.0 Type C port while shooting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3431 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For cameras like the Sony A7III or my A7Rm4, you can charge the battery via the USB port, but the camera uses more power than can be supplied by the USB. If you leave the camera on the battery will eventually drain and the camera will shut off. So it depends on how long you plan to leave it on whether a USB-charging type of camera will be suitable. Mine will discharge over about 2 days, which is "forever" for me since I turn the camera off between sessions.
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mjkzz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@rmpsrpms, no, I have shot tens of thousands of images in ONE session with my A7III, no problems at all. If you have problems, check your how you use it and your USB port.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3431 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not so much the number of images, but the time. Or perhaps you are plugged in to a high current USB hub or something?
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mjkzz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I did not mention that a 10K session is about stack and stitch and every shot takes 4 seconds, wait 2 secs for rail to stablize after moving, hold it for another 2 sec before moving again, adding in time took to capture each image, we are talking about 12 hours of operation per session. So number of images matters and a lot in my case. Yes, I am using 65W USB power, well, being a nerd, I thought that is given.

So yeah, I see some disconnect here :-)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3431 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, my point was that cameras like the Sony's can't actually be powered by the USB. The USB is used to charge the battery, and the phone gets its power from the battery. It's very convenient for folks who run the camera in sessions, then turn off when not in use.
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mjkzz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am confused, I said that I can plug my Sony A7III into a 65W USB power device, run it for 12 hours shooting a picture every 4 seconds, and you are saying "Sony's can't actually be powered by the USB", what is going on?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3431 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is your battery installed?
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mjkzz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, battery is installed, so far, after few years (do not remember), I have only taken out the battery twice, I think I lost the charger for it :-) I leave it in the camera, charging the battery via its USB Type C port, or just use it with it plugged in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3431 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you ever tried running the camera powered by the USB port, but with the battery removed?
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 486Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: