Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1967 Copper Dime Anything Special?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,561Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45110 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  03:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. If it is in acidic soil, it will lose weight and sometimes crud will develop and adhere to it adding weight.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoscoeCham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2.18 grams is the weight. They are supposed to weigh 2.27 correct?
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoscoeCham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does have crud and corrosion, which I would think would weight? Just very interesting to me, wish I had better pictures or a microscope to look at it better! I appreciate all of your opinions!
Learn More...
United States
23687 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2.18 grams is the weight. They are supposed to weigh 2.27 correct?

True, but with a tolerance of 0.09 g. If your coin was missing a clad layer, it would be dramatically under mint spec. You have a spender here.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2385 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's years the clad composition was Ni-Cu-Bi. The process was cold welding. The Bi and Cu as additive help to the cold crystalline fusion between the core and the clad layouts. the problem with this clad it is porous and Bi and CU will react chemical to the deafferents environments composition. This cause the color and the eroded of your coin. Good like for other coins find.
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoscoeCham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1667 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes, a clad dime of 1967 should weight 2.27g. if missing one clad layer, it will weigh around 1.9g, and if missing both and only the copper core it would weigh.around 1.5g/
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2022  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoscoeCham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just wanted to add some more terrible pics of this after I messed with it a little...I just tried cleaning it up a little and that ONE scratch on the reverse is still the only silvery I see...

Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2022  04:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoscoeCham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2022  04:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoscoeCham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
890 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2022  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I metal detect and that is classic environmental damage. The coppery color doesn't just clean off, they generally have to be run in a tumbler to do it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45110 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2022  05:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RoscoeCham,
Please no more photos of this coin,also please properly crop pics before posting in the future.Thanks.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2022  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirguardian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AKA "Black Beauties" that's the slang term for these.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1165 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2022  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is not a black beauty. This is environmental staining. A BB is an annealing problem.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68841 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2022  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please, enough pics.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,561Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: