Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Violation Of Any Ebay Rules?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,529Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2887 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  4:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So this coin is list under three dollars and the photo shoes a 1953 NSF near leaf. The description says you will receive the same coin or one in similar condition. Even in this grade the coin would be easily be worth close to 100$.

Thoughts? Is this breaking any rules? It seems aimed to bait someone to buy a coin worth 5 thinking maybe it will be 100$ coin.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/154801402207
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1876 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Email them and tell them you want the coin that's pictured in the add
Pillar of the Community
United States
8026 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As unsettling as it may be, I'd not want Ebay to determine/adjudicate what may or may not be appropriate amounts for starting bids or buy-it-now prices. Buyer beware.
Edited by ijn1944
01/18/2022 4:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4288 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photography is so bad that you can't tell, for certain the shape of any of the "I"s. Email the seller and ask him if he means to send you the same TYPE coin in similar condition. I think it's got 11' pole marks all over the auction.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2887 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I emailed the seller to let them know. I'm assuming since the description says the same coin or one of similar quality is like a loop hoke possibly. Similar quality does not mean similar value. It seems wrong to post a coin for sale depicting a rare variety. This variety is easy for me to see now and easy to look up. I doubt I'll get a response.

Could this be considered breaking any ebay rules? The coins not for auction just buy it now for under 3$. It's not like anyone buying this and end up getting a normal variety worth 5-10 is loosing out much money. I want to think this sort of thing should be against the rules of ebay.

No different then posting a stock image of say a 1955 NSF cent for really cheap but all the coins you are sending out are 1955 SF and not worth anything.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1949 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin pictured is a mule. Good luck......
Pillar of the Community
United States
4974 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't believe people worry about this. If I was the seller, I would block the person emailing me. Its a $1 circulated coin, if you think its a $100 coin that's on you. If you don't want to buy don't buy it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2887 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Says 1/4 sold, so is 1/4 of the coins he has for sale a mule lol? I don't know if this is breaking rules. Also wow at how many people checked out the link since this post.

I'm mainly curious of this is some sort of violation. or would it be aloud due to the fact they are not advertising it as a mule or rare coin just showing a picture of one.

Stating you will receive one of equal quality could just mean equal condition but again not a rare coin like the one posted.

Anyways everything said is it reportable? Ill wait to see if the seller gets back to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2523 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You'll make yourself crazy worrying about ebay adds like this.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2887 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Its a $1 circulated coin, if you think its a $100 coin that's on you. If you don't want to buy don't buy it.

A normal one in this condition(SF far leave) would be worth 5-10. The photo posted is a coin worth closer to 100$. I'm not worried nor stressed about these adds but when I see something fishy I report it or ask on here. No different I me then seeing a fake coin on ebay for way under price.

In American examples, it's like if someone posted a photo of a 1914D cent saying 5 for sale in the same shape, but what you actually receive is a 1914 Philadelphia cent.

Edit: on a side not I didn't message the seller to complain or question them, I simply sent them a message letting them know the coin in the photo is worth much more then the requested price and if they had that actual coin for sale.
Edited by Wrekkdd
01/18/2022 5:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4974 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In American examples, it's like if someone posted a photo of a 1914D cent saying 5 for sale in the same shape, but what you actually receive is a 1914 Philadelphia cent.

And people should be smart enough to know better, if the coin shown was a 1914-D for like $1, I would not expect to get a 1914-D, and if I did that was on me. Sometimes one has to use their brain.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2887 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

And people should be smart enough to know better, if the coin shown was a 1914-D for like $1, I would not expect to get a 1914-D, and if I did that was on me. Sometimes one has to use their brain.

I completely agree. This is a bit different because it is much less obvious to tell this variety from a simple mint mark check. That said this post was more to figure out if this is aloud per ebay rules. I didn't purchase any of these and even if I did it's a loss of like 2.75 so not worth the worry. It just seems like a false advertisment baiting tactic.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2887 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well look like someone decided to grab the last three. Wonder if it was someone who looked at this post? I actually hope they end up with the coin pictured. Odds are it's false but I'm sure many of you cheery picked at least one rare variety in your time.

Edit: or I guess since like 20+ members checked it out someone may have seen how many people were looking and decided to jump the gun.in which case I just made it worse(or better if one turns out to be a mule)
Edited by Wrekkdd
01/18/2022 5:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
712 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller's Neutral feedback is the most telling, where many of the buyers complained about receiving what they considered was the wrong coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2887 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never got an answer to the main question here. Is posting a coin that's a rare variety worth say 10-100 that of the normal coin, when selling multiples of the same item that may or may not be the rare variety against rules for ebay? As far as I can tell it's no different then saying I have a mule or in americain case a 1914D for sale. But in actuality it's a normal non mule coin or a 1914P. Is this not false advertising and against ebay rules? Or is it fine as long as you say you have more then 1 fore sale? I. If someone can post a 1936 dot cent and say I have 4 1936 cents for sale but never mention the dot in the description is that a legit sale? 1/4 of the coins was sold right after the listing was up as if they had posted that they had 1/4 but instantly "sold" the potential rare coin.

The whole thing seems sketchy but it's the rules I'm curious about not weather or not someone was dumb(or smart enough) to purchase the amazing deal. If the lot had said 4/4 remaining then I would have purchased all 4 myself knowing that 1/4 will be a rare mule. Since 1/4 was sold it made it seem even sketchier.

So is this kind of listing aloud or does it break ebay rules? I'm also curious why this post turned into a lesson on buying off ebay, that was never my priority, of something seems off I stay away.
Learn More...
Australia
14258 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I never got an answer to the main question here...
So is this kind of listing aloud or does it break ebay rules?

To quote from eBay's coin listing policy:

Quote:
Listings for ungraded coins and currency or raw currency:
- Must include photos of the front and back of the actual item for sale (stock photos are not allowed)

Which seems to imply that "Dutch auctions" (selling multiple identical items from one picture) for coins are forbidden. A seller saying "You'll get this coin, or maybe another one just like it" isn't good enough.

I know that the CCF EBay Counterfeit Reporting pages (used for reporting eBay policy violations as well as outright fake reporting) frequently has "Policy - using stock photo" as the cause for the report.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,529Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: