Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970-D Washington Quarter DDO / DDR? - Need Advice - All Advice Appreciated!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 416Next Topic  

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  3:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KmnCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, Everyone!

First off, I'm excited to finally be a member here! Thanks for having me. I've been coming here to research & learn over the past few years, combing through the amazing advice and information you all give here. Really appreciate all the time you put into explaining in such detail what you know and have learned over the years. It's been very helpful to me so far!
That being said, I'm looking for your expertise. I've got a stash of fun stuff I'm curious to learn more about and look at more closely..but I've been staring at this one since last night and I could really use some help!

This guy is pretty worn but here's what I've got:

I looked through all of the different die varieties (variations? I'm not sure if I'm using the proper term, sorry) that I could find and could not find one that matched both sides of this coin. Probably due to the extensive wear?

On the front, I'm noticing doubling on the date, the motto & Liberty. I've noticed notching on the date, some letters of the motto & Liberty. The motto has a large amount of spread all around.. Couldn't get a great feel for the mint mark but looks a bit puffy to me under the microscope.

There are also similar horizontal cracks/scratches on both sides. I'd assume it would have been made by some type of coin counter or feeder of some sort but that's just a guess on my part.

On the back:
Spread on almost all lettering. The "T's" in United States look like they started lower then were added higher up. Very apparent (I think) doubling on L's and E's at the bottom. Notching on multiple letters throughout. Also, does the eagle's head looks flat compared to others? Lol

Sorry for such a long-winded post!
I could be so wrong about all of this but that's why I'm here! I've never ventured down a rabbit hole this deep with a single coin before.

Any and all advice, information & resources are very much appreciated!

Thanks so much!

* I tried to provide different angles/lighting. Let me know if you're interested in seeing anything specific. It's hard to see more than 1 thing at a time with it being so worn. Again, Thank you!

-Kara

Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KmnCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you!! Happy to be here. :)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2312 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to this friendly group.

Dear Kara, I like the way you address, and also your photos. Good point to have many angles because like this will teach you what is right or no. For the photos in generally take only one by side and focus of the concern part at 90 deg. if possible with diffused light. Hard to achieve but possible.

You have an circulated quarter with some circulations marks and scratches. I do not see double die here, sorry!. I see maybe a little MD. (If you do not know the meanings of blue short numismatic terms, just click on and will bring you to the explanation).

Also I see the coin was struck with old die at the end of the life. The letters are thicker due to the time spend striking.

varietyvista.com it is a good reference site for doubling.
Edited by silviosi
01/19/2022 5:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7477 Posts
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KmnCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for the information, Silviosi. Although a bit disappointing, the information is helpful for future reference. I have a lot to learn here and appreciate the details in your reply. :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
6089 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with others, circulation wear and flattening on the date's digits. I'm afraid it does not look like you have a DDO.
There are Three registries for this year's DDO'd, click on the link below and compare.
http://www.varietyvista.com/09b%20W...201970-D.htm
to Community.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57443 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like damage to the coins posted. Not a die issue, but a damaged coin issue.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
8370 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Kara!
I'm seeing some Machine Doubling, circulation flattening and post mint damage. No mint errors, sorry.
If I may suggest, you presented a bit too many photos. Too many and you may lose readers (and therefore replies). All that is needed is a photo of the entire coin's obverse, reverse and one of two closeups of areas of interest. If we need more, we'll ask for them. Be clear and concise as to your question, and specific with exactly what you see. Tell us as well as show us.

to the CCF!
ša va bien aller

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KmnCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the reply & information, Merclover.

I absolutely went a bit overboard..my apologies. I will be more straightforward next time around!
I need to read more specifically into PMD and Machine Doubling. I have so many coins set aside from my collection to take a closer look at that have potential. I think I'll do some heavy research before I pull those ones out again.

Thanks again!
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KmnCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your input, Coop!

I've been able to work through many questions I've had over the past year or two from the advice I'd found posted from you & others in this forum. I've got a lot to learn. Lucky to have you guys to learn from!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57443 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Incuse marks on a coin (pressed into the coin, below the surfaces, are 99% of the time, damage to the coin. Only 1% are mint errors. Damage happens to coins. Just like accidents happen to cars, it doesn't make them a factory error. Usage damage happens to coins and they are mint errors, as they happened post strike. Damage after the strike could happen anytime or anywhere, and still be damaged, and not a mint error. Your coin is a damaged example, now a cull coin worth just face value. The best looking coins can be damaged, by someone altering the surface of the coin. The original devices that happened during the strike are the better examples. So if something looks different and it was altered, it is just a face value coin. Just a spender. Hope this helps.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2312 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Kim in the circle.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KmnCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That makes a lot of sense...thank you. I was looking at incuse marks and doubling in the same way. Serious aha moment just happened for me lol.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KmnCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dearborn & Chase....

Thank you both for your replies & the information. Greatly appreciated!
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 416Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: