Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading Thoughts On This 1844 One Cent

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,752Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2858 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2022  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, rats, I was sure low on the grade here and wrong on the straight/details call. I'll eat that 0-2 pitch count.

That's still a great coin. Not all details coins are alike, and this one has far better eye appeal than most. This one probably comes in north of the "50% of straight grade" rule of thumb for value.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12230 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2022  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
any way you can get better photos after the slabbing if you had conservation done? i'd like to see the results
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
917 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2022  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course Panzaldi, I'll get some really good photos when I receive it back. Fortcollins, I've noticed a few times now that after coins go through conservation it can certainly make then look a higher grade. Looking forward to comparing new photos to the original ones I took.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4126 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2022  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I swear I replied to this thread but apparently not. I have this one at VF35/XF40 Details, ED.

On what planet is that an AU coin?!!! I've always felt NGC and PCGS have been a bit generous at times with details designations, primarily in the AU-UNC Details realm. I think if they switched to a numerical system likes ANACS does, that might change and they may not be so generous. Rant over.

Am also curious what it looks like now post conservation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5858 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2022  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Obvious wear as seen in the first photos should limit the grade to XF-40 at best, with VF-35 more likely.
The ED label looks accurate, at least.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12230 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2022  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm interested to see the updated photos for 2 reasons. first to see how the conservation worked out and second how they gave it an AU grade. you first photos are pretty good and I cant see how this coin can get that high and I'm typically pretty lenient on the early coppers
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
917 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2022  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I won't receive it back for a week or two as I'm in the UK and it is in Florida but when I do we will get to the bottom of it. I'm thinking, could it be a weak strike and maybe the conservation revealed shiny lustre? What do you think? Otherwise they overgraded it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4126 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2022  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the consistency of the wear, extent of the wear, and where the wear is evident, I don't see that as a weak strike. I just don't see how they could have exposed any original luster on this one. Who knows, may eat my words when the new pics come!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
917 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just received the coin back from NGC today. Here are some photos I just took, let me know if they are okay or I can try a different angle or different lighting etc or more close-up anywhere. Do you think they overgraded with AU?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2858 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It conserved nicely! Much better eye appeal.

I still can't see AU here. I'll bump my original obverse VF-35 to EF-40. I still see the reverse as EF-40. IMHO, it's EF-40 net. I can see their ED Details assessment, but this coin looks better than a lot of Details coins.

Nice coin and a great variety.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69018 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cannot see this as AU - wear in the hair detail is obvious.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4126 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still at VF35-XF40 Details for me. Nowhere near AU. For a "Details" coin, it's still a good looking piece.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69018 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good-looking high VF details coin for sure.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12230 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

cleaned up the best it could. I also dont agree with the AU grade but it is what it is
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
917 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the comments, personally I think its somewhere in between XF45 and AU, but it could be a weak strike also. However, silver coins are my domain.

I've listed it for sale, if anyone is interested please let me know.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,752Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: