Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Have You Ever Found A Wheat Penny Or Buffalo Nickel Coin Dump?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,018Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2022  12:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Joshu - a to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
Have you ever found a Wheat penny or Buffalo nickel coin dump?

Poll Choices
  Yes, Wheat penny dump
  Yes, Buffalo nickel dump
  Yes, both
 No
  Sort of
  No, but I found another kind of coin dump
  Yes, and I found another kind of coin dump

Learn More...
United States
114684 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2022  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I received a very large Wheat cent dump back in the 90's thanks to some inside help. I was dating a bank teller at the time.

She also helped me find a lot of silver. A lot. But those were here and there, accumulated over time; nothing that constituted a dump.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1841 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2022  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I used to coin roll hunt with cent boxes, there were times where the number of wheat cents in the box far exceeded the average. It has been over 10 years, but I want to say the average number of wheats was around 13-15. I remember a couple of boxes having 75-100 or more wheats in them. Does that count?
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2022  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joshu - a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does that count?

That counts as 'sort of'.

I found small Wheat penny dumps two times.

Once, I found a whole roll of wheat cents.

Another time, I got 20 rolls of pennies from the bank. There was at least 1 Wheat cent in every roll and there were as many as 5 or 6 in some of the other rolls; a total of 55 wheat pennies. Half of the wheat pennies were from the 1920's, and a fourth were from the 1910's and 1930's. I filled in a lot of holes from that.

About 15 or so years ago, my brother picked up 20 rolls from the bank, and 19 of the rolls were filled with wheat pennies. That's what I really call a dump.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8901 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2022  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So jbuck--on the matter of dumps and dating a teller--did either of you get dumped?
Learn More...
United States
114684 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2022  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
She ended up moving back to where she was from. However, we are still friends on Facebook, does that count?
Valued Member
United States
154 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2022  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add accordselux to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at a wheat dump right now.

Picked up a bag from a counter and I can count 28 wheats just on a surface scan. Looking forward to opening this up.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4309 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2022  01:08 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once bought a gallon pickle jar filled with Buffalo
Nickels as part of a collection back in the mid 1980s.
I bought a massive US collection formed by
the 80 year old gentleman's father and continued
by him. The family had retired to Canada in the late
1970s.
Most Incredible buy as a dealer ever.
There were over 40 1913 S Type 2 coins
Fine to EF just to name one highlight .
Pillar of the Community
United States
4256 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2022  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I once recovered 58 solid rolls of wheats at one haul from my credit Union. Also, 2 solid rolls of steel wheats at once. Like Jbuck, I also dated a teller but I went a step further and married her. She's been in banking for years.you would not believe the collectible coins that never makes it to customers!
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
808 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2022  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grime5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
me and my son got a 25.00 box of pennies once that 792 wheats in it
Pillar of the Community
United States
2439 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

me and my son got a 25.00 box of pennies once that 792 wheats in it

That's an AMAZING find, grime5! Were there any better dates in there?

By the way, as far as the question goes, I'm very happy to be amongst the four people so far in that last group.
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Edited by John77
06/22/2022 2:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
590 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tencentpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One time, a long time ago, I got a Wheat cent dump with over 100 wheat cents in a box; I usually only find 10-15 per box, so it was definitely something special.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3953 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The phrasing of the OP question reminds me of that one time I was walking along a street and saw a whole pile of (by then long demonetized) Soviet coinage just lying there dumped out on the ground. The weather wasn't very conductive for picking them all up (and IIRC I was also in a hurry), so I just took a few coins and decided to go there later.

By the time I remembered to go there later, the pile was no longer there. Sometimes I wonder who, if anyone, ended up with it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,018Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: