Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1995 Lincoln D Large Die Chip Reverse

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 876Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
148 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2022  8:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DMN to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this 1995 Lincoln with a large Die Chip that looks like a sports trophy or a Golden Chalice! Lol

Bedrock of the Community
United States
45827 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2022  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like PMD or a gas bubble.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
8971 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2022  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Safe to assume the feature in question is raised (vs incuse)?
Learn More...
United States
24247 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2022  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm interested to hear from @dmn whether it is incuse or not. It looks that way to me (making it most
Iikely damage), but good to get confirmation. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70382 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2022  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely an odd-shaped gas bubble.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DMN to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took a toothpick to it and it's as hard as a rock. At first I thought it was a gas bubble also then I started thinking how it looked like some kind of strike. I couldn't figure it out so I went with it being a large Die Chip.

Edited by DMN
04/13/2022 12:46 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5187 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW...look at the top of the T in UNITED how it's almost polished down to nothing.
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45827 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  04:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a very unlikely spot for a die chip to happen.Is it raised or incuse?
John1
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DMN to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay Guys!Sorry it took me so long but I was trying to find a way to get different close up angles and different images. Ive done this picture at all different angles that I can and it looks like some kind of strike or incuse almost like a number 7.

Edited by DMN
04/13/2022 11:12 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58856 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are using more than one light, it makes it hard for us to see if it is raised or incuse.
Incuse would tell us it is below the fields. (Usually damage to the coin when this happens away from other devices) Raised will tell us if it is above the fields. From the double or more light sources, it removes the light and shadows. The location for a chip in the field, rarely happens if not possible. But next to to a devices/on the fields is where die chips on the fields are seen. On the tops of devices, is also a common place to see these. Even the color is not a match to the field areas. (If below the fields, then it could trap color differences on the incuse area) If there is any hint of gray on that area, it might be split plating on that area, exposing the zinc layer and also cause that area to rise:

So until we see images with a single light source, I can't help you. It is just impossible for one device to be from the the die without showing all the others. This device design doesn't match any part on the die.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45827 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
5th pic looks incuse, so I think PMD.
John1
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DMN to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coop Thanks so much for weighing in. I was trying my best to get everything that I could on this mysterious figure. These are the best that I can do with the microscope and laptop camera that I have. This one is way pass my minuscule pay grade.My eyes may be deceiving me but it keeps looking more and more like a 7 to me.

Edited by DMN
04/13/2022 12:21 pm
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dallife to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it raised or incuse? I don't see that you answered that question! I'm curious about this coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
1491 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I try not to use the assume word. I - he wouldn't try to smash it if it wasn't raise. But it would be nice to here if it is or not.
@DMN If it is raise and maybe a letter or number. Could it maybe the size of part of a letter like half of E from UNITED backwards?
Edited by RobO411
05/17/2022 3:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't tell if it's incuse or not. Also I'm very tiered and feeling immature so I won't say what it resembles to me
Edited by Wrekkdd
05/17/2022 2:56 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10440 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 876Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: