Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883 Morgan VAM-10 - Confirmed Upon Receipt

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 488Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2343 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2022  6:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was able to snag this one at a recent auction. It showed up while I was out of town. I've confirmed the attribution under the stereoscope (sextupled stars and date.) These are the auction photos and not very good, but I was able to see the characteristic die crack through the date and took a chance.

"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
United States
8863 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2022  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice pickup, was it unattributed when you bought it? I've been hunting for one for years and have bought a few that I thought had the correct ID marks off eBay only to be disappointed when the coins arrived in the mail. It's the die crack from the neck to the top of the 1 I looked for as the sextupled star is not always obvious or even easy to see in photos.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
05/08/2022 9:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2343 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2022  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes - unattributed. It is in an ANACS MS62 holder. I was happy that it panned out. I've seen quite a few with similar die cracks, but this one fit the profile on VAMWorld. I'm wondering if having it attributed on the label would make a difference if/when it is ever sold on?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8863 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2022  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super find then, I'd imagine it's worth a lot more in a PCGS holder, with the VAM10 ID on it. Pricing on the PCGS auction site says $850 for an MS62 and on eBay there is an ANACS AU53 details for $120 so an original MS example should bring well over $600 in the right holder.

Heritage sold an MS63 PCGS one for $1200+ in 2021.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

Edited by westcoin
05/08/2022 9:24 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10523 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2022  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice cherry pick! The new VAM value guide has this one at $900 in MS62. He shoots, He scoressss....
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
2343 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2022  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the other bidder I was up against knew what it was, too. I was taking the chance and ended up paying almost double what a standard MS62 1883 Morgan should cost ($150.)

@Dave, where can I find the VAM value guide you referenced?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10523 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2022  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SSDC membership is required.
1883-O Nut
Learn More...
United States
114610 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2343 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, JB! I was happy when I popped it under the scope.

Quote:
SSDC membership is required.

Noted. Thanks, Dave. I will look into that.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10523 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Noted. Thanks, Dave. I will look into that.

Well worth the entry fee in my opinion. There is a lot of useful information on the SSDC site that is not contained on VAMworld2.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
2343 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just paid my subscription fee. Waiting to hear back from the good folks at SSDC.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2343 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder how long it takes before SSDC loads someone into the system? It's been two weeks since I paid and still not in...
Pillar of the Community
United States
8863 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would email Ash Harrison his email address is on the main page at the bottom to contact with question. I tried clicking on the join link, it downloads a PDF file that Microsoft Defender flags as containing a serious virus threat and I decided to eliminate the file, never was able to even look at it. I haven't been a member in over 10 years IIRC, sometime back in 1995 was my last year I think.

You can also get Ash at his coin shop "Ashmore Rare Coins" his contact info and phone to the shop are on their website, which Google will show you if you ask.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2343 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info, @Westcoin. I'll reach out to Ash soon.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 488Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: