Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Believe I Have The Would-Be Highest Graded 1944 D/D RPM FS 501, PCGS MS67fs

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 518Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  2:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add AlexDC to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all! As the title says, I believe I have a 1944 D/D FS-501 that is currently in a PCGS MS67FS holder. Here are some pictures of my coin:

The polishing lines runing north-south underneath his nose and in front of the profile (as visible in the trueview example on the coinfacts page) are an exact match to my coin.

The varietyvista page mentions a north-south polish line in the far right window of the reverse. Though it does not provide a photo example, I can definitely see a north-south line right through the window. I was not able to photograph this well.

My only concern is the varietyvista page mentions east-west polishing lines running in front of the profile (for stage A at least). Mine are north south, but as I said they seem to perfectly match the trueview example on the coinfacts page.

I would love some opinions on this, as well as other things to look for.

If I send this in to PCGS to get reholdered, am I able to apply the variety attribute without risking the grade being changed?
Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin rejector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, but you should add a full pic of the reverse.
Learn More...
United States
111980 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

Quote:
If I send this in to PCGS to get reholdered, am I able to apply the variety attribute without risking the grade being changed?
I know you can send to PCGS for an updated (newer style) holder, so maybe you can also request a variety verification and pay the associated fee. Best to contact them directly for clarification, unless someone here has experience getting that done.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlexDC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yes sorry forgot the full reverse pic! This is the best I can do, I can try and focus on specific areas if people are interested.
Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin rejector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Alex.... Thanks for adding the extra pic. Tough decision.... if it were mine, I think I'd keep it in the existing MS67 holder but I'm curious as to what others will have to say.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlexDC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coin rejector... If reholdering it would risk changing the grade, I completely agree that I would prefer it in this holder.

However, if the variety can be applied without any risk of the grade changing that would be a win-win for me. Having this in a 67FS holder with the variety would significantly increase the value of it if I choose to sell.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6082 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very sharp coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2269 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it is an FS 501 (not my specialty). In your case I will keep like it is. not sure will be anymore 67
Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin rejector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Alex.... I completely understand the quandary, having a labeled/recognized Top Pop coin could command a nice premium but as silviosi mentioned & my concern.... there is no guarantee it will come back a 67 after resubmitting.

https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...s-501/569491

Pillar of the Community
United States
1615 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice nickel, but has the spotting been there since you've had it? with those spots I'd be surprised to see it again grade 67, and 5 FS yes but 6 FS looks iffy IMO
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlexDC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nick10. I have only had this nickel for a month or so, and yes the spotting has been there the whole time. However, I think the photos are exaggerating it, it does not look that bad in person.

That being said, truthfully, I agree that the coin does not quite look like a 67. In fact, after comparing it to some other coins I am very surprised it received the grade. It does not have the same stunning luster and look you'd expect.

Just another reason to trust the coin not the plastic. But hey, I'm not going to complain about more value!
Learn More...
United States
23188 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can try and focus on specific areas if people are interested.

Maybe a shot of the steps on the rev? I'm interested to see how full they are considering this got a FS designation. Not casting shade but rather just trying to learn. Thx!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2269 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin by what I see is not full steps.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7325 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12086 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe this will answer your questions:

https://www.PCGS.com/reconsideration
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2061 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you resubmit the coin it doesn't even go to the graders. Only the variety team. Once in a PCGS holder the grade will never drop. You guys know this. Nice coin!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 518Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: