Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1988 D Cent Is Ready For Its Debut

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 408Next Topic  

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  04:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add justlizw to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this 1988 D one cent in pocket change. After hours of close examination I've concluded that there is nothing on the reverse to get excited about so I've ruled out "die clash" but I'm not the expertThe obverse is a different story. There's lettering under "IN GOD WE TRUST" and I can see something under and around the 8's-some are bubbles. I'm also seeing a face behind face with the 2nd eye being inyz front of the ear that can be seen with the naked eye. An outline of the nose,lips,and beard are slightly visible.
I apologize for the inadequate quality of the pics. I'm stuck using my phone camera until I can get a device that is conducive to what I need to accomplish here. I have 30 yrs worth of coins to get through. If I don't I won't be able to retire
Thanks for your time

Bedrock of the Community
United States
45823 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With these small pics I see nothing of note. You can buy a clip-on magnifier for your phone for cheap. You can also buy a scope that plugs into your phone.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
8968 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the images posted, I'm seeing what appears to be a ridge ring running through IN GOD WE TRUST--an indicator of Die Deterioration. Can't detect anything else.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like there is a small plating bubble below the E in WE, it's just zinc rot setting in I think but better pictures always help.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70369 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks pretty normal so far.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10437 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58856 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the single squeeze dies, they breakdown different from the other ones in the past. The Term DDD ( Die Deterioration Doubling) is seen on these Single squeeze dies. This affects the fields first:

First Stage (Fields affected):

Second Stage (Ridge Ring):

Continues to breakdown even more. Rises to the occasion:

Third Stage (Die polishing):
When the dies are polished to rescue these dies for a few more coins, then we note the ridge is gone, but the devices are reduced:

This process is different than the previous dies. All are die wear. But on the Single squeeze dies the fields are affected. On the multi hub dies, tye outer edge first starts to be affected, and as the die continues to ages, they they devices start moving towards the rims:

Again this is part of the die wear patterns that we note today. They are all die wear, but show differently because of the ways the dies were created. DDD is used for the single squeeze dies and the Die wear I feel on the multiple hub dies is the profiles are different. The lower profiles seem to be the issues on the Single squeeze dies. On the older dies, the higher profiles cause the devices to wear first. (anyway that is what I attribute the differences to)

CoopHome: Die wear is always the same or can there be different die wear issues?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justlizw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for taking the time to educate me on the ends and outs of coin collecting. Y'all are way more useful than a coin book that costs a pretty penny. (pun intended) Having y'all's experience and expertise available has helped put the spark back in my coin collecting and possibly retail. I'm going to acquire a magnifier and scale today so that I can pick up speed towards my numismatic goals. *heads up* I'll be slamming y'all with prospects very soon k Thanks again
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58856 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just one coin per thread. If you find several with the same issue, they can be covered by just one example that would be the same diagnosis for the rest. I have lots of images of many different subjects. All ready to go and loaded for this purpose.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 408Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: