Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Peace Dollar 1922 P . Grade And Opinions Please #289

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 455Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  09:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've really slowed down my silver dollar buys because I have yet to wrap my head around these higher prices and it now takes 25% to 50% more to buy the same coin or win a same auction.

But with that being said, last week I bid on this common 1922 Peace dollar at eBay. I suppose that I was gambling that the coin might turn out to actually be MS as the flip says and not some highly polished piece of silver, because the sellers pictures were so fuzzy you could barely make out the date.

So the first picture is what the seller posted to eBay and the others are mine with coin in hand. So it's just a common 22, but as always I am interested in your comments and opinions or I wouldn't be posting my silver dollars here. Thanks ........

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9468 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  10:06 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seller pictures are blurry but capture the luster better
Reverse holds it to MS62 in my opinion
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69007 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might make MS-63.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3627 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am at 58. Your photos are showing a haze and not much luster.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1196 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  11:43 am  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm AU58. However, there are enough scratches on both sides, especially the Obverse that my soul will Detail this piece.
My hoard of '82s is up to 241! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 6, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 17, 1782 x 60, 1882 x 68, 1982 x 45
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am at 58. Your photos are showing a haze and not much luster.

Nah, just my poor photography Slider ..... was trying to get rid of some of the glare with different lighting and wound up wiping out most of the luster as well. Here's a different light source picture without the haze but too much glare.

And Collects82, when you wrote
Quote:
I'm AU58. However, there are enough scratches on both sides, especially the Obverse that my soul will Detail this piece.

I usually don't disagree with peoples opinions, after all, that's why I post and ask because I value expert opinions, but in this case, I don't see what you see. The few scuffs and scratches there are, are few and light. I just went to Heritage Auctions to look at some of their 63s and 64 Peace dollars, and many have more and deeper scratches than this coin, so 58 if you think it's not UNC I get, but details? I disagree completely.
Edited by KauaiHawaiiGuy
05/28/2022 12:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1196 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The scratch across the middle of her head jumps out to me. On the reverse, the markings around United.

I'm just giving my opinion if it was my $. I'd hold those flaws against this one in settling on a value. I know its not an MS65+++, and therefore there will be something. But to me, these feel like a little more than just a few bag marks. They aren't super major, and I wouldn't be shocked if a TPG didn't Detail the slab either. I just can't overlook them either.
My hoard of '82s is up to 241! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 6, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 17, 1782 x 60, 1882 x 68, 1982 x 45
Pillar of the Community
United States
9859 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd still call it a dipped slider and there's nothing wrong with that at all. A commercial UNC piece.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
917 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big scratches and deep hits. This one ain't gonna go anywhere higher than AU58 without a shadow of a doubt. I put it at AU55.
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I hardly know how to respond to some of these opinions. Details, deep hits, possibly 58 but most likely a 55.

I am no expert and all I know is what I've learned from others and what knowledge I've picked up from experience, and I certainly don't want anyone mad at me for disagreeing, but when I look at the coins at Heritage and then compare them to this coin, some of your opinions are hard to understand.

Here is a coin from Heritage ..... you can go look at this as well as others, they are there right now. I didn't pick this coin out at Heritage Auctions trying to find the worst, just one I grabbed off the first page. Graded MS-63. I'll even enlarge some areas. More numerous hits and scratches than mine. Deeper scratches, how on earth can the coin I posted be a 55 and this one from a well know TPG, a 63? And it's got nothing to do with value, I only paid $33 bucks for it, I just don't understand some of these low grading opinions when compared to how PCGS is grading the same year ..........

Edited by KauaiHawaiiGuy
05/28/2022 3:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4125 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Light breaks in the luster at the highest points, paired with lots of small scuffs and tick marks in the fields, I'll say AU58. I could see a shot at MS62 from a TPG. Your first set of pics portray flat lifeless surfaces. The second shot, while not as clear and too much glare does show luster. All we can go on is the pics.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
917 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because after studying the PCGS photos from Heritage you just showed, it seems that the marks on that coin are light. If we could use a depth measuring device I bet the marks and gashes on your coin are at least 50% deeper. They look deeper, but you have the coin in hand so maybe they aren't as deep as they look? I've sent amazing coins in that have blazing luster and only a few marks and they come back 63 or 64 so there's just no way I see yours higher than 58 from my experience, but like you I'm not a professional and can only go by experience. I do have a very good look though on my computer monitor and like to compare to existing ones already graded.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3627 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lets compare your original obverse photo to the Heritage.

OP:
1) A little luster showing on the obverse. Almost no luster showing on the reverse.
2) Luster breaks on the cheek, chin, hair and neck area.
3) Fields look very clean.
4) Possible wear showing on the hair above forehead.
5) Coin looks hazy and dull.
6) The marks on the coin could be high AU or MS.
This is what I looked at when I graded your coin AU58. After seeing your second photo, I would put the coin as a slider AU58 to MS62.

Here is how I would grade the Heritage example:
1) Coin showing cartwheel luster but not strong.
2) The coin is not showing any circulation rub.
3) The coin has a few marks in fields and on the cheek and neck.
With only looking at the obverse, I agree with the grade MS63.

Post some coins graded by the TPG's and I think you will find that the CCF grades are for the most part accurate.

Edited by Slider23
05/28/2022 7:40 pm
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2022  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LetsGo0o0o to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
KauaiHawaiiGuy- You claim you don't usually disagree with others opinions..

But that is mostly what I see from your posts. You get upset and argue with everyone disagreeing with you, when clearly you are new(er) to our hobby.

If you are going to respect others' opinions who are experts and have been in this hobby for decades, actually mean what you say, rather than being argumentative.

My 2 cents.. this is not an MS63 and there's nothing you can say to change my mind. This is an AU coin
Edited by LetsGo0o0o
05/29/2022 12:32 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12222 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2022  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with coinfrog I think the coin is AU58 or Maybe MS63. I'm leaning MS63. tough call
Pillar of the Community
United States
3840 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2022  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The impaired luster and numerous surface marks suggest light circulation. I'd say AU-58, although MS-62 is possible.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 455Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: