Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 D Tallgrass Error (Quarter)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 291Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  3:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Starflyer83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone seen an error like this on their 2020 D Tall Grass quarter? You'll notice the line is perfectly straight.

*** Edited by Staff to Add Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15739 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Your photo is not showing.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21919 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was uploaded, I added it back to the post.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Starflyer83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Bobby131313
Valued Member
United States
396 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Check bugil46's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hum
Hesitate to say it but I saw this same Quarter on YouTube about two weeks ago. Same mark. It had been sold on EBay.
Not saying anything else but saw the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10351 Posts
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Starflyer83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Bugil46 : Would you happen to know where it was listed or could you please send a link? I found this today and also joined the forum today for the very reason of getting some answers. It definitely wasn't me who posted it for sale however. I have a 1999 P Delaware "Spitting Horse" Quarter for sale and a 2019 West Point Lowell Quarter for sale but those are on offer up.
Valued Member
United States
396 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Check bugil46's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's why I hesitated.
I don't remember the YouTube.
But it reported the sale.
Didn't follow up on it
Sorry
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Starflyer83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh okay, no worries then. This just means there's more then one out there.
Learn More...
United States
114715 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58744 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2022  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Either a die gouge or a slight die dent. Not a variety, just a die event. How dos this happen. Keep in mind the location of the damage? It is on the fields. On a die the fields are the outside edge of the die:

When looking at a die, the fields are the outside part of the die. The devices and design are incuse into the die. The step down on the outside edge of the die is what I call "The gutter.

This helps form the rim along with the collar that shapes the outside edge of the planchet. (Some coins are flat edged, and other have reeds, the collar determines which is which) The planchets are a bit smaller than the collar, when struck the planchet is struck and stretched into the collars allowances for the outside edge of the coin. (back to the die issue)
The dies are often rescued from die damage. This is done in a different location at the mint:

They polish off clash mark damage, Feeder Finger Damage and if during the process, the die gets scratched, what area will be affected? The fields. So rough contact can a alter a field leaving a die scratch, gouge while the dies are handled. If a die is dropped onto another die, it will leave a dent.
https://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49..._HOR_01.jpgp
Note the outside of the dropped die was affected altering future coins struck with this damaged die.
On what area? Again the fields are affected. So note on the image above, just the fields are affected. Even fields near the rim can be affected:

So these are just die events. The die was normal until the die was altered. So it is not a die variety, it is a die event. Just like if we fall and get cut, we would have a scar. That would be a life event. Well to a die, when something happens to them that affect the life of a die, they go through events as well.

CoopHome: Die is a die event? How can die gouges and die dents be caused? Are these normal events?

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 291Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: