Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000 Maryland P Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 286Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  6:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Maried8880 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Took this coin to an "expert appraiser" he told me it was not an error coin but offered me $100 for it. I knew something was up so I kept it. Would like to know if the discoloration is environmental or is it really missing both clad layers.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10351 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does not appear to be an error when it comes to the coloring of this coin. I can say that the cladding is not missing, if it were, it would be a copper color not this yellow coloring. I think it was maybe plated and is now wearing off. That is why you can only see the yellow coloring in the deepest parts of the coin. (the high points get more contact and wear down faster.)

It would help if you were to provide the weight of the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15739 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

You should have taken the $100.00, it is only worth 25 cents. It is not an error.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45723 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2022  04:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. What did you see that made you take it to an expert?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2022  05:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel like he wasn't an expert if he offered you 100$ for something he just said was worth 25, but was correct on it but being an error.
Learn More...
United States
114715 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58744 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2022  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you see the copper color on the outside edge of the coin, then it is just toning. (That color will be red) If you don't see the red copper layer on the outside edge of the coin, then it was plated. If it were missing cladding, it would be the color of the copper layer. Just looks altered/toned in circulation. The real color for a missing clad is this drastic:

Red color, not brown as that is an outdoor find.

On a missing clad on one or both sides, look at the example above, the strike will be weaker. So you should have taken the money and run. But now you what to look for on these.

CoopHome: Take the money and run, or keep another from buying something that is not worth the loss to them. Education is vital. He might have a coin that you might want to buy some day. Breaking the ice now, may pay off more in the long run.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
614 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2022  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go get that $100.

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 286Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: