Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1958 Wheat Penny No Mint Mark, Possible Multiple Errors Reverse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 291Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  04:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KingRichardV to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If you look at "O N E" top left of the "O", bottle right of the "N"
Then at "C E N T" Top right on the "C", and between "N T".
I did include photos of both side to see if any one happen to catch something I did not see
Thank you in advance for your time and help!

Learn More...
United States
23712 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@king, first welcome to CCF. Second, thank you for including pics of both sides of the coin. That is always appreciated. With specific regard to the marks you are seeing on the reverse, these all look like damage to me rather than mint errors.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45134 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  05:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Not an error. It is PMD and a nasty fingerprint on the obverse.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  05:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KingRichardV to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you and I a question about the post damage. What could cause that at the top of the O and between the N and T. I am not doubting what you guys say, this is just more knowledge for me to have for the future!! And Thanks again!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
726 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  06:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8526 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree. Post-strike damage. The nicks/hits/dings/gouges/scratches occur in circulation. Copper is a relatively soft metal and can be 'shaped' in a variety of interesting ways as the hits come along.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9109 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68943 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty normal looking to me.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
113522 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58089 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We often see these on coins that are found in a parking lot. The same alters the coin, when they are ran over by coins. So a single grain of sand can leave an incuse mark on a coin. Note on the 'N' the two incuse marks there are called bag marks. They CAM from contact with other coins during its life. Sometimes the damage is so strong it makes a wave that is seen on the coin:

These are clues for post strike damage to a coin. The metal movement has to go somewhere. Then like pushed snow, it rises. This tells me that this happen post strike. Even Machine Doubling pushes the metal aside and creates a wave:

Note the moved area and the pushed aside metal on this proof coin. Even damage to coins can be noted. by pushed metal during a coin scratch:

Note the trench that will have a flat bottom and the moved metal in this case is plating, it is moved and rises above the surface of a coin. This is post strike damage to the coin. It is not a mint error, but coin damage. No premiums for coin damage. If there were, then we would have no change. But as a face value coin it will eventually get to a bank and then be sent off to be canceled and recycled.
So why is this information helpful? 99% of incuse marks on coins are coin damage. If you see a bent coin, this damage is post strike. As mention already the wavy is noticed on some coins. Why this is not a mint error, is that if a mint error happened during the strike, the wavy would never happen. The dies would prevent the wave. The struck through object struck through would be on the coin and show no wave because of the dies/collar working together. What types of mint errors could be seen? We will limit this to the common events to show why is different about a struck through item.
Struck through wire:
pimg]https://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49...COOP_ABB.jpg
Note the shape of the trench? On the previous coin cut with a knife, we would see a flat trench. Note on this coin. The trench is rounded because of the shape of the wire. On the struck through area the wire was drowned by metal and was held in place during the strike by the collar and the dies. Thus we see a contoured trench.

How to tell if this is a mint error? Note the strong ends to this object struck through? That is a clue for it being a mint struck through error.

Wire can be bent and this example shows the same beginning and end with a definite start/ending of the wire that was curved. No wave was created, so this is a mint error. There is even a back mark also on this coin.
Struck through string:
Note on this one the string collapsed, but you can still see the texture of the string. Note it is wide and there is no wave created with this mint error. Same for struck through thread, but the thread will have more movement on the struck through:

Even a knot is noticed in this piece of thread.
Struck through rim burs:

Breakaway and struck on the same coin, from the same coin.
Even a huge rim bur leaves not wave. Because if happened during the strike.

The die/collar contained the strike to an isolated area. So when you see a wave of metal movement on a coin, it happened after the strike. It is just post strike damage to the coin. Not a mint error. Hope this helps?

CoopHome: How can you tell if something is a mint error or post strike damaged?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
06/20/2022 12:00 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 291Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: