Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1853 Halfpenny - 3 Over 2, And Cleaned?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 227Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
73 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  09:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Afternoon all,

Hope you're all well.

Just acquired this nice little halfpenny. But two questions:

Is it a 3 over 2 in the date?

Are there signs of minor corrosion around the face of Victoria which may have been cleaned?

Edited by Kipster
06/20/2022 09:20 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69007 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I don't see any signs of cleaning. Beautiful example.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9468 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't look cleaned to me.
Heavy die cracks and Die Deterioration, possibly rusted dies?

I see the mark under the left side upper of the 3, but not below the right upper loop of the 3, and all 1853/2 the 8 is also strongly repunched to the north, and there is usually heavy recutting/repunching on the C in VICTORIA and the T, I, and A in GRATIA.

Lovely example in my opinion.
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United Kingdom
73 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks both.

I seem to have a fixation with whether things have been cleaned or not. It's unhealthy.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23942 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice original AU-53 coin. Does not appear to have been cleaned.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 227Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: