Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Very Neat Vintém (20 Réis) From João III Of Portugal

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 286Next Topic  
Valued Member
Portugal
51 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  5:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bennycunha97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone!

With so much going on in my life I seem to have neglected this forum a bit but now I am here again! I am more of a lurker anyway, only posting occasionally, but still the difference is clear to me, I need to browse posts more around here again.

I recently got this neat coin:

It's a vintém (20 réis) from João III of Portugal (1521-1557). João's reign was quite long but this coin can be dated to 1555-1557 since the design of the vintém (and weight as well) was changed in 1555. I like it a lot and it's on the scarcer side, which is a plus. I love the XX side with the wreath.

Weight is 1.38 grams, which is a fair bit less than the legal weight. That together with the visual inspection of the coin (see 4 o'clock to 10 o'clock on the obverse) really illustrates the prevalence of shaving coins down and sell the silver and gold, which was quite the problem at the time.

I hope some of you like my new coin and I can't wait to see what I've missed being away for a bit.

Benny
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1073 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is an attractive coin. The wreath and the XX are very well executed.

Thanks for sharing!
Learn More...
United States
23722 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I love the XX side with the wreath.

I agree—very classic looking. Congratulations on the super pickup.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19688 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  02:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes it can be advantageous to buy coins that are not too badly clipped, because
pristine examples without clipping are out of my pay range.

Nice pick up, and would sit very nicely in my collection as well.

Numismatically, this coin can tell it's story equally as well as a perfect example.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5423 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  07:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice addition to your collection!
And it's nice to have a forum member focusing on this part of the medieval world, so we can all learn.
Valued Member
Portugal
51 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bennycunha97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the comments!

@sel_69l my thoughts exactly, if I go for the pristine coins I have no money for anything at all! This is still very attractive and way more in my price range (and besides it was a great deal!)

@tdziemia

Quote:
And it's nice to have a forum member focusing on this part of the medieval world, so we can all learn.

I'll do my best to share what I know from my coins! I love learning about new stuff myself so it's an honour to imprint my own knowledge in someone else, even if just one person!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5121 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

Benny I'm going to Portugal, any coin dealers you can recommend? I can go from Porto to Coimbra to Lisboa
Valued Member
Portugal
51 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bennycunha97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hfjacinto will shoot you a DM to not clog this topic with non coin chatter!
Valued Member
Portugal
51 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bennycunha97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reply to above: apparently this doesn't have a DM system and I didn't know about that. Also I can't send you an email because I'm a somewhat new member but feel free to email me if you'd like!
Learn More...
United States
23722 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ben, actually there is a dm system, although members can opt out. Just click on the icon with a letter and envelope and you should be able to contact folks.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
5121 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Benny

I can't email you, your preference is not to get emails. Can you change your preference and I'll email you.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 286Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: