Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Differences Found On 2017A $50 Notes From Fort Worth

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 966Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  10:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was browsing CoinWorld when I happened on this article mentioning differences found on 2017a $50 notes from Fort Worth so I casually decided to check the ones I have. I may have found 4 more of them with 3 being uncirculated notes, but have not yet heard back whether they will turn out to have any additional value. Anyone else have one or comments? Original CoinWorld article: https://www.coinworld.com/news/pape...m-fort-worth

Pillar of the Community
United States
3750 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I haven't looked recently. It doesn't surprise me to hear that the BEP has been less than forthcoming. They usually play everything close to the vest. Thanks for sharing.
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Steve and everyone, these are very easy to spot even for a beginner so its very quick to check for them as most have the face plate number in the same tiny font size as the FW representing the Fort Worth facility. A few I posted have the plate number such as 38 in my first photo that is closer in size to the size of the plate position letter (in this case, an B) than it is to the FW. In short, its a bigger size font if you look at a couple of them. Even better this is a current issue and most $50 are in great shape due to low circulation use so I found 3 of them uncirculated. Hopefully some others will post if they have one and eventually we will get an answer if the larger font has extra value and worthwhile to look for more in depth.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that difference sounds like it is intentional to reveal which printing method was used, so any premium will come only after we figure out which version was printed in the smaller quantity
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70290 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting thread, thanks.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3750 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was my only example. Emphasis on "was."

Edited by SteveInTampa
06/28/2022 8:32 pm
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
that difference sounds like it is intentional to reveal which printing method was used, so any premium will come only after we figure out which version was printed in the smaller quantity

Yes that information would be helpful but the BEP had not responded to CoinWorld as of June 7th. I will assume for now the larger font is the smaller quantity and came up with only 4 of those and many of the other. I will try to get in touch with a CoinWorld editor shortly since these are additional examples regardless and see if any info comes up.

Quote:
This was my only example. Emphasis on "was"

Welcome to 2022! I bet many people rarely hold on to errors above $10 or $20 these days unless it has known value and easy to resell quick if necessary for them. The photo you posted is of the small font from the article which came up much more often and different than the 4 examples of the larger font. Keep it up so people can see the difference from the photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I checked ten 2017A 50s, 7 have the small digits, 3 have the large, the large are in the CA, DA. and FA blocks
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I checked ten 2017A 50s, 7 have the small digits, 3 have the large, the large are in the CA, DA. and FA blocks

Thanks for checking, so far we have KA, CA, DA, FA, GA blocks that have bills with large fonts. I have a FA however also with the small font PF15509286A, (D13) and GA PG08146273A (B16) also with small so both FA and GA have both so far, I checked some friends EA, IA, and LA small fonts to go with the small AA from CoinWorld article. FB, DB, EB also small.
Edited by datadragon
06/29/2022 12:03 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my JA block note is small font, unless I missed it the only district for which we do not yet have a sample is H
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
my JA block note is small font, unless I missed it the only district for which we do not yet have a sample is H

Yes, there are no samples yet for HA block but FA and GA blocks we now have both a small font and large font sample already in just the few checked so its unknown if there are both small and large fonts to be found in other blocks yet (or if certain blocks are exclusively small font.) Do you have both small and large in CA, DA? Should stick up photos of the large fonts and small fonts in known blocks with large fonts. KA, CA, DA, FA, GA are the blocks currently known with large fonts,

Probably best just to put up photos of their 2017a $50s or at least the large font ones until its more clear which blocks to focus on as if there are both small and large fonts in a block then the extra info like the plate number on them might be additionally useful information.
Edited by datadragon
06/29/2022 11:00 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I checked more 50s, but all were of the types already known. Among the 50s I've seen, the small font is more common than the large. I've organized the sightings mentioned here into the table below.

AA sm
BA sm, B* sm
CA lg
DA lg, DB sm
EA sm, EB sm
FA sm lg, FB sm
GA sm lg
HA
IA sm
JA sm
KA lg
LA sm
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I forwarded to CoinWorld.

Please upload images of 2017a $50 with Large fonts or small fonts from blocks known to also have large fonts in them. So far FA and GA blocks are the only known so far to have both small and large fonts but this may change. CA, DA, FA, GA and KA have found large fonts but its only a small sample so far. HA is the only block with no sample mentioned so far.

sm = small font, lg = large font.
AA Boston sm
BA New York sm, B* sm
CA Philadelphia lg
DA Cleveland lg, DB sm
EA Richmond sm, EB sm
FA Atlanta sm lg, FB sm
GA Chicago sm lg
HA St. Louis unknown
IA Minneapolis sm
JA Kansas City sm
KA Dallas lg
LA San Francisco sm
Edited by datadragon
06/29/2022 12:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1326 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the importance but this has been happening with $20s for over a decade now. The larger plate number references notes that were printed with the new(er) Super Orlof Intaglio machines which are capable of printing 50-subject sheets (as $1s and $5s are currently printed), although $50s and $20s are still printed on 32-subject sheets.
Edited by coinsearcher83
06/29/2022 10:03 pm
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the importance but this has been happening with $20s for over a decade now. The larger plate number references notes that were printed with the new(er) Super Orlof Intaglio machines which are capable of printing 50-subject sheets (as $1s and $5s are currently printed), although $50s and $20s are still printed on 32-subject sheets.

Correct. Both font sizes have been found however on 2017a $50 bills indicating both machines likely were used, one possibly may be in error (or is a variation due to whatever reason it was done) unless you are saying dual font sizes are found regularly in other recent 20 and 50 bills.The larger font historically should indicate those notes were printed on 50-subject sheets by SOI presses as you are also mentioning. At the moment this thread may help to determine the extent of the differences and has progressed from only two known notes in the larger font to several known blocks so far containing the larger font to some degree, and at least two blocks so far FA and GA that are known to contain both small and large fonts.
Edited by datadragon
06/29/2022 11:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1326 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
unless you are saying dual font sizes are found regularly in other recent 20 and 50 bills

Exactly. For $20s, Series 2006 DC, Series 2013 DC and FW, Series 2017 FW, and Series 2017A DC exist with both large and small front plate numbers (possibly also 2017 DC and 2017A FW, I just don't have an example at the moment). Series 2009 DC only exists with large plate numbers. There was a survey conducted on Where's George with data going on the serial number website http://www.uspapermoney.info/general/soi.html though this study has fallen off a bit in recent years.

As far as $50s go, this is the first series seen with large plate numbers. However, I'm not sure it signifies 50-subject sheets because these larger sheets require different plate position markers (A1 through H4 seen on 32-subject sheets, but A1 through J5 seen on 50). Ones and fives (series 2017A) printed on 50-subject sheets have a plate position marker where the letter and number are the same size, while the letter is larger than the number on 32-subject notes (and 2017A $50s even with the large front plate number).

Regardless, I'm always for more data.
Edited by coinsearcher83
06/30/2022 07:21 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 966Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: