Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New 1970 S Large Date RPM?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 374Next Topic  
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  8:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PennyPirate to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone. I've been trolling the forum for a while and finally have found something I need help with.
I recently received this coin in some change and was wondering if I may have found a new RPM. When looking through my microscope, I found that my 1970 s had a RPM but couldn't match it. The closest one I think is the 1970 s RPM-006 due to the Southern spread seen in the date and mm.
The area I am finding difficult to match is the die scratches(?) in the lower swoop of the S. I've included LIBERTY in case it helps, too.
Thanks for your help and happy hunting.

Edited by PennyPirate
06/28/2022 8:52 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10452 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

nice large date San Francisco Cent. This could be the 1970-S RPM-003 (inside the lower curve of the S) the thing at the top of the S looks like a circulation hit and was flattened out a little
http://varietyvista.com/02b%20LC%20...0SRPM003.htm

Forgot to ask - what is on your coin? salt? some kind of small crystal? or is that just dust?
Edited by Dearborn
06/28/2022 9:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2038 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is MD, you can see it going the same direction on the date too.

to the forum!

-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
8989 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm leaning toward Machine Doubling. Are some (all?) of the pics shot through mylar (which shows particles)?
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PennyPirate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I shot it with only air between the lens and coin. I think it may be copper salts from other pennies in the drawer, maybe. I thought the greenish crystals were odd, as well.
I simply took it out of my pocket and put it under the 'scope. I'll lightly brush them off next time.
Thank you for the help, and I think you're right about it being the -003. I just needed to not focus on the MD matching, since that's just a loose die that can be in any direction, right?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45876 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  04:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Looks like MD to me not an RPM. I like your CCF handle "PennyPirate".
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
406 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  06:46 am  Show Profile   Check bugil46's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see MD.
But 003 is a possibility. Inside S is curious.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9130 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Machine Doubling on this CENT.
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58903 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Inside the lower loop of the mintmark, you can see mintmark punch damage from the punch used many times on a hardened die. This distorts the punch:

Machine Doubling alters the devices on the coin. The date and the mintmark should not be showing the same direction of push by Machine Doubling. If that is seen on the coin, it is not a doubled die or a RPM. It is Machine Doubling. How can I prove that?

Note this is a DDO-001 1969-S Cent. Note the yellow arrows. The arrows are pointing to Machine Doubling. we see Machine Doubling on this doubled die, but note the doubling is not seen on the mintmark? But Machine Doubling is seen on both. Why should this not look this way? The die creation is one step. If a doubled die is created on the die, by the hub, it is a doubled die. The mintmark is added in a different step. So seeing Machine Doubling both date and mintmark, this is not a RPM. But Machine Doubling. So the die was created with a hub doubling issue. Thus the term "doubled die". So when the date is normal and the mintmark is normal and showing Machine Doubling, it is not a variety, but a case of Machine Doubling on the coin. You could have both a RPM and a DDO, but the chances of the spread direction being the same would be extremely rare. (None that I know of)
So when you see both areas affected the same, it is Machine Doubling on those areas.

CoopHome: What does it mean, if you see what look like doubling on both the date and the mintmark? ( Machine Doubling)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58903 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also the OP's coin is also showing extreme die wear. Looks like the dies were polished many times and not the devices are getting smaller and smaller after each polishing. This coin is just a spender.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 374Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: