Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Spent Some V-Nickels And IHC's At Taco Bell Today.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 509Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  12:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Skeletonwizard8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a very large horde of cull IHC/V's that I got for pennies on the dollar at my LCS. I pay 5C/ea for the cents and 15c/ea for the Vs, sometimes get dateless shields too. I have around 1500 IHC and 120 V/shield nickels now, which is way too many to be frank.
I decided to spend a few today, total was 12.64 so I gave the young fella a 20, 2 quarters, 2 V nickels (one was dateless) and 4 Indian Head cents. He put the 20 in, stared intently at the coins, then went over to a group of coworkers. There was 3 of them in a circle taking for a minute before he came over and said, "we don't take non-us coins". I told them they are US coins and showed him where it said United States. After some hesitation he let me spend them and asked which ones were nickels and which were pennies. A little bit of a hassle but I think I will do it again, cool to see peoples reactions to seeing these old coins circulating.
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I could certainly see why they had no idea what they were, though.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  12:50 am  Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great story. I sometimes get a kick out of putting BU cents from the 50's back in circulation. My hope however, I must admit, has been that it might make some kid's day. I hadn't thought about the lack of awareness of old coins angle and the humor in that.
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Cool story. I spent some Ikes last week at the gasoline station and the supermarket. They were doubtful, but took them!!! & & &
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  04:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add I6609 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like the story but find it a little sad .I do understand the Indian head penny but the rest of those coins they should know
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10689 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  04:27 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I spent a cull V-nickel in Florida last December but I put it in a vending machine. I've spent several dateless Buffalo nickels and grotty Wheat cents on my various trips to the USA (generally ones I've acquired when buying bulk lots of foreign coins), but nowadays I tend to save copper cents for smashed penny machines.
Edited by NumisRob
06/30/2022 04:30 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70434 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good for you. I spent 20-30 cull Indians every year.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanFielding to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen folks be confused when I give them a Kennedy half or a gold dollar. And those are still being made! Just not being circulated much
Pillar of the Community
United States
2364 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of years ago, I spent 4 Sac dollars at McDonald's. I'll never forget the look on the cashier's face and her comment - "This isn't money!" Once the manager came over, they took these things that "aren't" money anyway.

"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
893 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
5 cents for an Indian and 15 for a V center ? Oh, what are your prices in LCS. Envy.
It looks like he and his colleagues have learned a bit of the history of their own country. That's cool.

Quote:
I've seen folks be confused when I give them a Kennedy half or a gold dollar.

Why did you give them a gold dollar ? And why Kennedy was confusing them. This is not such an old coin and I think they are still actively circulating in the USA, the coin is only about 50 years old.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanFielding to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Young people hardly, if ever, carry cash and/or coins of any kind EVER. A Kennedy isn't as common as the other coins so they probably aren't even aware they exist.
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why did you give them a gold dollar ?

Probably one of the Native American dollars.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 509Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: