Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's A Fair Asking Price For A Never-Sealed PCGS Slab W/Authentic Grade Label & Security Features?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,976Next Topic
Page: of 3

12 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  9:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Unimpossible to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have several like this, received unsealed directly from PCGS last Thursday.
Learn More...
United States
24845 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@uni, first welcome to CCF. Second, it sounds like you are saying that you sent a bunch of coins to PCGS for authentication and they came back in defective slabs. If that is the case, I'd strongly recommend reaching out to them to fix this situation and give you sealed slabs.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
12 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Unimpossible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the warm welcome. I've tried that already, multiple times in fact. I've talked to customer service five different times since I reported it to them last Thursday morning, and despite those five calls, I still have yet to hear back from a Supervisor. Mortgage went through today and I was counting on this coin and her sisters to get me through the month, so since PCGS doesn't seem too concerned about it, I'm not either. Thanks very much for the reply, still looking for input on a value for these if anyone else happens to be around.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4360 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No value above that of a raw coin as is. Suggest you send it all back to PCGS and explain in writing the problem.
Learn More...
United States
24845 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok hmm, that is very odd. This seems like poor customer service, but I understand the need to raise money in a short period of time.

Here is my concern: these coins are still basically raw since you could theoretically copy the one that was submitted and put the copy in the open slab for sale. Or, you could swap in a slightly lower grade example with the correct year and mintmark and hope that the buyer doesn't notice that you've switched coins when they look at the online pics.

I'm interested to hear what others think, but my guess is that these would sell for closer to the raw coin value than the slabbed coin value.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are selling the slab then my concern is that anyone interested in buying it would only be doing so with bad intentions in mind.
12 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Unimpossible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh for sure the coin will sell for less, that's part of the problem. I paid $23/each for the grading, so if I can get more than that for just the slabs, that's what I'll have to do to make up my shortfall. Thanks so much for the response, nobody hesitate to throw out a $ figure though, I really have no clue what they'd be worth, but I would certainly think that they're aren't too many out there like these.
12 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Unimpossible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@t25135 I was concerned about that is well, but I'm basically in a no-win scenario. I needed to sell these coins to make my bills for the month. PCGS has inexplicably not gotten back to me for 5+ days and I'm out of options. I tried to do the right thing, and I got crickets, so unfortunately I have to trust people not to use them maliciously. If it's worth anything, the one coin guy who's asked me about buying one said he was just going to use it to pull a prank on his buddies.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2308 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't imagine someone wanting to pay money for the plastic clamshells. If there is, they would be tough to find.

I am sorry that you're in a tight financial position. Concerning these slabs, I think you are out of luck if PCGS doesn't reply.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10625 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try posting on Collectors Universe....
1883-O Nut
12 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Unimpossible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did post on CU actually looking for help on Friday night when it became clear I wasn't going to hear back from anyone until today at the earliest. Despite not mentioning specifics, the thread was closed by an Admin after about 20 posts and my account was banned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2329 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am suspicious of the whole thing, sorry. You can buy fake PCGS slabs, so why would someone in that market want yours even if they're real? A serious collector looking for a certified, graded coin wants exactly that, not a novelty slabbing error where it's impossible to determine whether the coin goes with the holder. As others have said, it may as well be raw. And why blank out the cert# and barcode? We can't verify your story without at least that much, there's no reason to conceal it, and thus my suspicion. I've been on coin forums for probably 15 years at least and have never heard of a TPG returning an unsealed slab, let alone a whole batch of them. If you're that desperate for money, I think your best option is to take the coins to a dealer and get what you can.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8976 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  12:04 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and this coin should have a "gold shield" as it is worth over $300.00 so that would qualify it for one automatically. I'm afraid I don't buy this story at all. Since 1986 when PCGS started slabbing coins, I've never even heard of this, no way this gets by the finalizer at PCGS either, as each coin is double checked after it's gone through the sonic sealing machine, in hand by the manager that day. It's also checked by the shipping crew that packages up the box for sending back.

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
12 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Unimpossible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kbbpll (sorry, I don't know how to tag on here) I certainly understand your skepticism. I'd never heard of it happening either, which is why I went to the CU forums to research it. I only found a couple old threads where people had a coin or two come back unsealed. When I made a post asking people if PCGS would refund grading costs due to such a serious error, I got labeled as an opportunist looking for a hand out. I blurred out the barcode because I was still trying to give PCGS a chance to make it right, but I suppose it doesn't really matter now, so tell me what you want for "proof" and I'll do my best to accommodate you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2329 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  12:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A clear, straight on image of the slab such that the barcode can be scanned would do it. If, as you say, there are a batch of them, then post each one. Precise details helps too - you don't ever actually say that you're the one who submitted these coins, or what exactly transpired. I'm no fan of CU/PCGS and I'm certain that if you posted something there that made them look bad, you'd get banned (it's happened to me). I also don't doubt that they could screw up this badly, but I've just not seen it before. When you ask for a value on unsealed slabs, it raises a big red flag for me, particularly combined with the desperation for money. It appears that you can appreciate that.
12 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Unimpossible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Westcoin, you're correct to question the lack of a Gold Shield, however I actually have an explanation for that. I tried to sneak this '78-CC in with my Economy order to save a few bucks. They pinged me on it with an extra $10 charge, which made it equal to their charge for Regular service without the Gold Shield.
Edited by Unimpossible
07/06/2022 12:34 am
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,976Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: