Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 D Jefferson Nickel Possible DDO And DDR

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 521Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
75 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  01:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CaptJeffWorthFL to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I looked at this over and over trying to decipher if this is a DDO as well as a DDR. Here are a few pics, let me know what you think.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  02:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a doubled die, its DDD( Die Deterioration doubling, with what looks like a bit of MD to boot. I have noticed this is common in nickels from the 80s.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45884 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  04:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
9004 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  07:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm seeing a stew of Die Deterioration and circulation flattening--given the pics posted. Not seeing clear evidence of DDO or DDR.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10467 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1828 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
obverse in a very late die state, too common during that era
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58903 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Note the next step for these dies:

After the OP's dies that struck his coin, could under go one more polishing and could look like this on the next wear pattern.

CoopHome: How die wear can affect an aging die: What will you see when this happens? devices enlarging
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
07/07/2022 11:59 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
9130 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DDD, not a DDO nor a DDR. Just a worn out tired die. No value over face.
ça va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
406 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Check bugil46's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Die is on its Death Bed.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I still do not see anything, time = wisdom!!!

Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2022  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptJeffWorthFL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I figured it was DDD, just wanted to be sure before it went back in the wild. Nickels are fun to search when looking for BUs, low mints, buffalos, Vs and Wars. But looking for DDO or DDR.... headache for 2 days afterwards. Thanks for the input! Hope those 3 boxes of halves I am picking up later are not all the same #128528;
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58903 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2022  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well DDD us seen on the single squeeze dies. Die wear is seen on all dies.
DDD:
1. DDD affects the fields first, not the devices.

2. Second step is the ridge ring appearance on the cents.

3. Third step is the polishing removes the higher areas of the dies. Thus the devices can almost disappear from the polishing affect on the DDD dies.

Various years show these, but most are in the 2000 forward range on the larger denominations. Cents started earlier on the 80's cent on the obverse and later 90's on the reverses. (The change over was a slow process over the years. Even some years show, both multi hub and single squeezed dies were used)

Die Wear:
1. Die wear affects the devices on the sides in the direction to the closest rim.
2. Because the devices on the multi hub dies are taller, the devices are affected. Starting with the outside edges of the devices.

CoopHome: What is the difference between die wear and DDD? die wear affects all dies, DDD affects the single squeeze dies.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Edited by coop
07/08/2022 10:11 am
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sois that why some coins a blurry is because the field are starting to merge with the devices
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58903 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now we are seeing the light.

Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks coop and I still ha lot of questions so you haven't heard the last of me lol and I love this sight because you explain in detail about the questions that people like me ask its like being a kid and seeing the world for the first time a curios about everything around me
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 521Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: