Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 Lincoln Cent Clash Error?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,183Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3475 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Anyone have an obverse/reverse overlay image to illustrate what a die clash could look like on a shield cent?

One Cent overlays-
http://www.maddieclashes.com/one-cent-overlays/

There seems to be some kind of odd texture/finish on the fields of the obverse. I wonder if this is a clue about the recessed areas.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1525 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking struck through. This is a common area on newer cents where these errors occur.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3324 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to settle with the stuck through side here. I have looked at a few thousand, I still have trouble differentiating between planchet errors and struck through errors, metal composition makes a huge difference when it comes to identification. In gonna go with struck through If the zinc core is not exposed on the furthest incuse areas of the event.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60401 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Struck through will be incuse on the coin.

Or Struck Through Grease on the surface of the fields. That will also be raised on the coin.

A die issue like Feeder Finger Damage, would be raised.

Just can't tell for sure which it is. Try using a small piece of fresh aluminum foil. With the shiny side take a paint brush and place the foil over the obverse. Press the foil with the bristles to enhance the devices on the coin. Check it with your scope, to see if the raised areas are what you are seeing, or flip the foil over to the dull side to see if that area is raised on the dull side. It will help show one way or the other.

CooHome: How can I tell if something is damage to the coin, or damage to a die? raised or incuse on the coin
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/03/2022 7:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3324 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Or Struck Through Grease on the surface of the fields. That will also be raised on the coin

Typo I assume

To me it's a struck through as long as the zinc core is not showing in the incuse area, as for the clash I think it's for polish lines or minor feeder finger scratches.
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gigi2110 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strike through and struck through its the same issue?
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gigi2110 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop the coin I have has the same thing as the 2009 coin has in the shoulder.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Judging from its elongated shape, its orientation, and the presence of a second, parallel defect, this is most likely a field-restricted struck-through error. Such errors are caused by the feeder/ejector smearing a gritty paste across the field portion of the die.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gigi2110 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some more image, I hope you can find out if this is a error.

Valued Member
United States
301 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly what I was thinking when I first saw the pics. field restricted strike thru as mike said. Characteristics are obvious and add up to this kind of error.
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mercystjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just wanting to post the comments from my post with the same kind of error. Must have been something major wrong with this die. Same problem different location. http://goccf.com/t/421279. There is also a link to a different penny with same problem.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60401 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually the roll I found mine in only had two that looked like this. So the die was not altered, the strike was altered on the coins struck with this issue. It would be like a Struck Through Grease, but on the fields and not on the devices. So the die was not damaged, just altered for a couple of strikes with the field-restricted struck-through error for s short time.
Here are the edited images with the comment on them:

CoopHome: What is a grease restricted strike? Grease on the fields, not in the devices on the die
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/06/2022 2:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gigi2110 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you coop! Can you tell me if this have any value please?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,183Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: