Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inherited Coins From 98 Year Old Relative. Here Are Some Of The Victorian Ones. 1861 - 1901

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,006Next Topic  

United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  09:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Toccs to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey again,

Our recent discovery of a roman coin also posted on this forum for identification sparked this new adventure for us.

My wife's Granddad unfortunately passed away last year, he fought in WW2 in the Royal Artillery. He left her a box of coins that we are only now going through, I am currently sorting out a few and thought I would share. Here are about 20% of the total amount. The rest are King George half/two & three pennies I believe as well as some coins from all over the world that we are still sorting.

Edited by Toccs
08/03/2022 09:36 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47445 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
503 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins. They won't be worth a huge amount, since I think everyone's granddad had a similar collection (and died a lot longer ago), but still interesting, especially the overseas coins they must have picked up during the war.
Edited by JohnConduitt
08/06/2022 11:30 am
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrPeper23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what are the two coins in the lower right. One looks like its from germany cant read the other one.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10004 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always an adventure looking through an unexpected collection coming one's way.
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are some pretty old pennies. Have you gone through them for certain dates like 1868, 1869 and 1894 bun penny. There are also some varieties. Otherwise more sentimental rather than material value.

Still a bun head penny with a sharp date and decent detail on Britannia from before 1887 is a 1 or more coin.

Obviously your relative was collecting them from change and interested in saving the really old ones. I worked that out if they are 98, that means they would have been born in 1923 or 1924 and thus likely at least 8 by the time they were searching their pennies for old ones. I can't see any after 1900, so by the 1930s they would be 30+ years old.

It is very interesting to see them. I always find old bun head pennies interesting and a lot of fun. Some one gave me a handful of 1800s ones and I was happy to get a decent 1862, 1879 and 1890 out of them!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2104 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  04:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like mostly British pennies - there could be some rare varieties that are quite valuable but closer inspection is required.

https://www.amazon.com/Bronze-Coina...p/0948964847 covers pennies, halfpennies and farthings and their varieties but it a little out of date.
https://headsntails14.wordpress.com/ is the most up to date reference on British bronze pennies that I know.
https://www.commonwealthcoins.net/b...ional-bronze is the most up to date reference on British bronze halfpennies and farthings that I know.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,006Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: