Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Coin That Started A Raging Internet Debate: 1924 Peace Dollar, You Versus NGC

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 53 / Views: 2,197Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  06:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Please submit your grade.

Please do not cheat.

There's a big story behind this Peace dollar. It was part of a small group that was submitted to TPG over a decade ago. I will discuss it and the other coins when I close this out after 48 hours.

1924 Peace dollar
NGC

*** Edited by Staff - Uploaded images here, please do the same in the future. These will last forever here. Also very few people will click on those more than once, the number of ads is ridiculous. ***

Edited by TheColorofMoney
08/14/2022 12:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Staff

Thank you
Pillar of the Community
United States
8967 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll refrain on the guess as I already know the grade of holder it's currently in.

Is this one of the Peace dollars that came out of the old (2013/14 era) leather pouch hoard perhaps? A story that was never proven to my knowledge and not entirely believable either.

To me it's over graded by two full points and the toning is not at all attractive, but then again that's just me, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion on it. John Albanese sure doesn't agree with me on this one either.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2ó variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
08/14/2022 12:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2273 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is MS-63 tops, toning appears natural and rather distracting. There are a lot of bag marks and a mushy strike.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9344 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trace of finger/palm print on obverse.
Valued Member
Germany
295 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63 is my guess. MS-64 at best.

Toning and fingerprint makes it not so attractive.
Edited by HP2001PH
08/14/2022 2:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1129 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm leaning towards MS63.
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25267 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64 but the toning gives it poor eye appeal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
910 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never heard of this raging internet debate..

Maybe a little exaggeration?

I know TPG's can grade toned coins high, seeing as they can hide flaws.

As far as toning goes, there's some that love it, and others that only like blast white.

MS65
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71689 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Raging internet debate?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4226 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could see them calling this MS64, even 65. In my book, no higher than MS63. The near terminal toning and print on the obverse kill it for me. Luster also looks subdued, but that could just be the HA pics.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9910 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With a big bump for the color I'd guess MS65. The luster is likely better than the images suggest.
ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglebub7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, regardless of the story, just no vibrance in this coin, just appears flat.
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumismaticsFTW
CoinFrog

There was a debate online (that was sometimes very acrimonious and heated), that spilled over into circles at shows, over this coin (and others that were found and certified along with it). What caused the controversy was the sweeping generalization that one of the owners of a TPG said about these coins. This happened in 2009. There is no exaggeration.

Westcoin remembers it. He\she placed it in 2013\2014, but it was in 2009.
Edited by TheColorofMoney
08/15/2022 12:44 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2321 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I grade it 9 on the Ugly scale.
Otherwise, the title sounds like clickbait. Raging debate? Big story? News at 11?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5918 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing this coin is in a high MS holder. Otherwise, what would be the big deal?

The coin does not look like a high-grade piece. Luster seems weak, maybe even impaired from brief circulation. The obverse fingerprint is obvious and distracting. The near-black tone at the rims almost looks like environmental damage. Colorfully-toned Peace dollars are scarce and desirable but this example has limited appeal. On the plus side, the strike seems unusually strong over the Eagle and portrait. It's certainly possible the photos make the coin look worse than it is.

I'd call it AU-58 based on these images.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 53 / Views: 2,197Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: