Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Advice Needed On 1874 S Trade Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 552Next Topic  

Australia
2 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  8:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GeneralWaste to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you guys could have a look at this 1874s Trade dollar I bought at auction recently. I haven't picked it up yet but I wondered if there were any red flags that pop out? I know it's not in the best condition and I only have the picture from the Auction but the coin looks good to me based on comparing it to the PCGS examples.

Pillar of the Community
United States
660 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks fake to me
Tim Hughes
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71508 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 4 in the date looks particularly suspicious, among many other details.

to the CCF!
Australia
2 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GeneralWaste to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice, I do agree the 4 does look suspicious, I'll contact the auction house and hopefully I can sort it out!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2318 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the 4 is definitely wrong and no need to look further. Sorry about that, but welcome to the forum!
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
6b0ftfKFEJg

Hint: Start with the 4 in the date.

Pillar of the Community
United States
897 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely fake.

Why do people ask us after purchasing rather than before?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71508 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Assume you can return this based on clear evidence of this being a counterfeit. Please let us know!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1545 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no doubt its fake.
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  02:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add G58NoReverse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@GW, I would have to with the others, I have 7 or 8 that friends gave me to look at all stick to magnet, wrong weight, wrong size etc, if you haven't gone back to auction yet take a magnet just for fun, even a scale.

Sorry,

Bj
Pillar of the Community
United States
3688 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 4 and the denticles are both off. 100% fake.
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4061 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

I'd suggest that you consider bringing a small scale and a Red Book when you visit the auction house. If memory serves me correct, the book will provide a weight of 27.22 grams for Trade dollars. Most fakes I've seen tend to be a few grams underweight.

Good luck reconciling this!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without a doubt fake, and a poor one at that.
Valued Member
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  03:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
how long have you ploopy and exoguy known each other you guys could be brothers coming from someone that ha 7 brothers and 6 sisters
Pillar of the Community
United States
809 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mushy and grainy details was the first red flag I noticed. The denticle spacing was the second thing and then of course the date. I hate to see people being duped with this garbage.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 552Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: