Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

For Grading - 1886 Morgan Dollar

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 727Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
670 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2022  2:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I would like to hear some thoughts on where this Morgan could grade. It is in a PCI Coin Grading holder. Great luster, nice and bouncy. Thanks!

Edited by HumblePie
09/13/2022 2:12 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73205 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2022  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even enlarged, pics too dark to see surface details clearly.
Edited by Coinfrog
09/13/2022 2:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4153 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2022  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures are pretty dark, but there is a fair amount of chatter on the cheek and surfaces. I'd say MS-63 at best.
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2022  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am at a MS-63 with these photos. More light would definitely help
Pillar of the Community
United States
9897 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2022  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very difficult to provide an accurate assessment given the pics posted. I'm thinking low MS, unless better images appear.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25600 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2022  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you enlarge the photos you can see lots of marks. I'm at MS-62 but a TPG would probably bump to 63 because of the tone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1039 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2022  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I knew it was a PCI as soon as I seen it.

It is very odd how so many of these PCI's have this toning..

I'm convinced there was foul play here, and purposely bullseye toned this way.

Better pics would help.

With the obverse lack of luster and life, 62+ at best for me.

Guessing PCI said 64.
Edited by NumismaticsFTW
09/13/2022 3:36 pm
Valued Member
Germany
312 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2022  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverese looks MS-65 to me. Obverse could be MS-62 or at best -63 but its hard to say with this picture.
Overall probably MS-63.
Pillar of the Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2022  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCI-65

Need better pics to accurately grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
670 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2022  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope these help. For some reason it is a tough coin to get a decent photo of.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1039 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2022  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How much did you pay for this?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4153 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2022  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took the liberty of adding some light to your first photo to see the surfaces better. I'm still at MS-63.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1253 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2022  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-63
Pillar of the Community
United States
670 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2022  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I took the liberty of adding some light to your first photo to see the surfaces better. I'm still at MS-63.

Thank you!

Quote:
How much did you pay for this?

I bought it at a coin show with 3 other coins as a package. I figured it at the $60/$65 range. I like the toning, in-hand it shows better, blue with rose. I thought the reverse was fairly nice.

PCI has her at MS65+

The dealer I bought it from never tried to claim the MS65+.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73205 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2022  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go along with MS-63.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13293 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2022  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at MS63 also. this coin is one reason why I dont like toned coins. the obv is in the last stages of toning...Black. some folks like that I guess as well as the vignette look

PCI is almost always high in their grades...buy the coin not the holder applies
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 727Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: