Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just Found 1913 Gold Sovereign. Is It A Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 340Next Topic  

Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  07:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add General Lee Spe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All, I am loving this coin collecting thing but I am fast realising how bad at it I am. I have soooooo much to learn. If anyone could set me straight on this coin, I would be very grateful.... Actually at first I'd probably be a bit snakey, then grateful.

Everytime I think I've stumbled across something cool, it's not... Anyway enough smoking

Thanks
Chris

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5513 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best way to know is to take it to a jeweler to determine the weight and the composition. It should be about 7.9 g. and 0.917 (22 carats).
In this condition I believe it is only worth the gold value (currently close to $400 US).
https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...duid-1216798
I don't know if fakes of this type are prevalent, but the details look pretty good to me.

Let us know what you find out.
Edited by tdziemia
09/20/2022 08:14 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71609 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree this looks good to the eye.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
Australia
14647 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See the tiny letter "P" in the ground-line above the date? That's the Perth mintmark. So when you're looking up a price in a pricelist, you want the 1913-P entry.

Perth is the most common Australian sovereign of that date, but the London mintage is much higher.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
United States
39658 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  09:05 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please crop your images before posting them.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
See my collecting interest - (click here)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4344 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks OK to me.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10935 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks OK to me.

Nothing screams 'fake' to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1126 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to collect British sovereigns, and I don't see anything that jumps out at me which would make me suspicious of this example.

And, to the forum!
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add General Lee Spe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool, thank you very much. Yay, that just made all my past disappointments worth it. I'm totally addicted now
Pillar of the Community
United States
4344 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Suggest you still weigh it. Small scales are available on Ebay for around 10 bucks.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
696 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How does one "just find" a gold sovereign?
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 340Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: