Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Ragged Little Denarius Of Charlemagne

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 261Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
786 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  7:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
OK, so I also got this yesterday. I was going to wait to post in the walking back in time thread (which I still will) but this decade is still a ways off so here goes.

She is corroded and ragged but the details are still quite good and I love it. This is quite honestly a coin I never thought I had a chance to acquire.

Charlemagne
(768 - 814)
AR Denarius

A.D. 793 - 812, Treviso, 22mm, .98g, ~0, Depeyrot 1079E.
Obv: + CARLVS REX FR. Cross in center.
Rev: +TARVIS. Caolus monogram.

Learn More...
United States
24749 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a super pick-up @marti, but I'm hoping that you will be able to protect it well. The small cross/monogram in the center seem to be hanging on by only a thread of silver.

Added: As you know, we are still on the 1030s over in the OFED thread, so its gonna be several months before we arrive down to the 8th Century.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
786 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey spence, yes it is in a little capsule which I hate to use but it's for the best. I can still open it and touch it from time to time. :)
Learn More...
United States
24749 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok good. I've got a couple medieval bracteates which are similarly fragile and have landed upon the same solution.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20051 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  03:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been looking for something like this for some years, failure for me so far.

I am happy to know that this coin is in a small capsule.
There is a great possibility that it could be affected by underlying silver crystallization.
Fragile enough, bur very much more so, if affected by Ag X

If the capsule is small enough, it still could be enclosed in a 2x2 so that full id can be attached to the coin, and take it's place in a coin album.
Pillar of the Community
United States
786 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sel, yes the capsule fits and I have it in an album. While it fits in the flip too, its a bit tight there so I just have the attrib. in the flip, and both the flip and capsule inserted into the 2x2 binder sheet. Both of which fit fine in there
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 261Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: