Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Could Use Some Help With This One Dollar I Found.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 358Next Topic  
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  11:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Zac09 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this dollar bill when I was talking about my new found hobby at work. I typed in the serial number on mycurrencycollection.com in the fancy serial number lookup section. It said it was 95.6 percent cool and my boss said quote " yeah but its still only worth a dollar". My question comes to is it still only worth a dollar if it rates that high and if its not only worth a dollar where is a good place to sell it where I can get the most out of it without knowing a good value.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12115 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it qualifies as any sort of true fancy serial number, so unless there's something else unique about this note, it looks like a spender to me.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zac09 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a better way to look up serial numbers or way to tell if they are fancy than typing them into this webpage? Or is the webpage just not really used in the real coin and bank note collection world. I did find it while I was on a currency collection you tube worm hole binge so I don't really know how dependable the site is.
Valued Member
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a number of generic lists of what some would consider to be 'fancy serial numbers' that may therefore have some added value over the face value of the currency, and may also appeal to a large range of collectors such as http://www.coolserialnumbers.com/Fa...Numbers.aspx Condition can play a large part in value. Keep in mind that there are many others below those in a 'grey area' which are more special types or interesting serial numbers rather than fancy and so there is usually no set pricing for these types of serial numbers and depends on the perceived value to a collector or buyer. To a non collector of these more specialized types they are just another spender. You can read some on these forums, and as you start to learn. An example I posted last was date serial numbers which are usually combination digits representing a birthday, anniversary, often special holidays, or important memorial day or event. 09/11/2001, 07/04/1776 To some
certain ones may hold value but to others they are of none.

Keep in mind also that A high "Coolness Index" rating does not guarantee a serial number is worth more than face value, and usually doesn't. The 5 of a kind you show is far less desired by serious collectors than a 8 of a kind (solid) or 7 of a kind/7 in a row and that is because those bills are much more rare. http://www.coolserialnumbers.com/Ho...lNumbers.pdf Some casual collectors might also buy 6 of a kind/6 in a row, such as if it had also lucky numbers in it but serious collectors would not buy those as they would be hard to resell such as to a dealer. Likely only inexperienced buyers or those who are not into value may collect 5 of a kind or single quad (4 of a kind) - people can collect whatever they want!

Currency books like Paper Money of The United States 22nd edition can give valuable info on currency values and which to look for, but its around $45 new for a print and a bit less for a ebook. There is cheaper version like A Guide Book of United States Paper Money 7th Edition that have less grade values such as only circulated and uncirculated and no colonial currency but has great info otherwise. This will go into star notes, blocks and other important info on finding valuable currency far beyond serial numbers.
Edited by datadragon
09/23/2022 12:49 am
Learn More...
Australia
14662 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The most generous opinion you might get here on the forums is "yeah, it's kinda cool, if I found it I'd keep it" - but nobody would pay over face value for it, especially not in that condition. The same is true for pretty much anything under 99% "coolness".
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4559 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  05:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The condition is too low to make it of any interest to a collector even if it was "cooler". Save it or spend it, but don't waste any more energy trying to sell it for more than face value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3815 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't put too much stock in the results shown on the mycurrencycollection website. New collectors are often misled by the Coolness Index. And, as others have mentioned, condition plays a big part in the value especially for modern notes. Yours is virtually a future candidate for shredding.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71756 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, 95% is quite low as cool notes go.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
09/23/2022 08:53 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 358Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: