Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1984-P Roosevelt Dime-Possibly DD On Front And Back?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 382Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
69 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  2:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coinhunter58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this dime the other day and noticed it looked strange with the naked eye. Looking closer under a scope, it appears to have some sort of doubling on the front and the back. I see it best in "United States of America" and in "Liberty". Also looks like a double ring in the edge between the 9:00 O'Clock and 3:00 O'Clock positions on the front and back. Is all of this MD?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
47429 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a collar clash and DDD and wayyyyy tooo many photos.No added value.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinhunter58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got 'cha! I'll cut wayyyyy back to three or four shots.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60381 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just extreme die wear. Note the die state is VLDS. At this point, the devices tend to get distorted more until the die is eventually retired. (Also strong Machine Doubling on a lot of the obverse devices) (Not DDD)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47429 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coop,
I may be using the wrong terminology with DDD. Would worn die doubling be better or VLDS doubling or what do you recommend?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60381 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can always use Die wear. That way you don't have to identify the differences. The biggest differences is the way the Die wear shows on each process. Die wear is the same term, but on DDD affects the fields on the dies on the instead of the devices themselves. On the older style of dies, the devices were affected on the sides of the devices facing the rim. DDD affects the fields first, then the other 3 step. of DDD:

So an easier term is Die wear/Die polishing/Extreme die wear on VLDS dies. These terms work for both as the dies age. Beside of die wear, the Single squeeze also have Hub doubling also on different areas than the older style of varieties. Thus I try to keep them both in mind for die wear and hub doubling differences.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2189 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One thing to remember is if you think you have both DDO & DDR, you probably have neither. That combination is very rare. Usually MD or lighting.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinhunter58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the input on this coin. Still learning every day!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9972 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Struck with very worn dies--nice example to keep as reference piece.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 382Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: