Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

$1 Australia Bank Note

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 578Next Topic  

Australia
5 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  1:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kevwilljon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone new member here. I've came across a $1 Australia banknote with a cancellation stamped on it from the NAB. Shepperton Vic. 6. With I think branch number. 83-894.
Could some fill me in why it's stamped by the NAB. And is it or was it common to do so.
Any insight would be very well appreciated .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
677 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'm not a banknote guy, but can you upload a photo please?

There is a tutorial on uploading. Click the Switch to Full Reply button below the Quick Reply box below, and there is an Image Tutorial link there.
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Edited by ttkoo
10/09/2022 5:09 pm
Learn More...
Australia
14960 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Banknotes generally aren't "cancelled" by banks. They might get withdrawn if they are obsolete or damaged, but such withdrawn notes would not receive a stamp, they'd just get bagged up and sent to the RBA.

Bank branches did used to have ink-stamps in them, for stamping deposit forms and such. I suspect such a stamp was used on your note, either deliberately or accidentally, but against normal bank practice.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
854 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yes,'Mutes',Mutilated Notes,weren't stamped,they were returned to the RB to have their serial numbers recorded and then destroyed,burnt under supervision.
That didn't stop the girls in the Bank of England Mute section pocketing them for Months before being caught.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lough...rator_thefts
Edited by Basil
10/09/2022 8:07 pm
Learn More...
United States
120861 Posts
Australia
5 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Australia
854 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2022  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to work in a Bank back in the 1970's and it looks like a ordinary Bank Branch stamp used for cancelling cheques etc.
Probably a bored Teller, we never touched Mutes,they were just put in a bag to be returned to a cental Branch where they were returned to the RBA.
Edited by Basil
10/15/2022 6:48 pm
Learn More...
Australia
14960 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2022  01:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see anything "wrong" with that note that would warrant "cancellation" - apart from the stamp, it seems in circulated but still re-issuable condition. So yes, not an official stamping, just a random or accidental stamp that just happens to be from a bank.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
854 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2022  06:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So yes, not an official stamping, just a random or accidental stamp that just happens to be from a bank.

Yes,Teller with too much time on his hands,looks like a standard bank branch stamp,used to stamp cheques and when you made a deposit in the old passbook accounts.
It seems to be from the National Australia Bank in Shepparton Vict., I couldn't see a date.
Australia
5 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2022  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kevwilljon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all very much. For the input on this nite. I was thinking of such a accidental or bored teller. I was looking some clarification if the bank stamp was stamped on the note for a specific reason.
I Rembert the aust post use to act as a agent for the c.b.a I use to go to post office to do me passport account banking . They used stamps like this to stamp the passbook. Cheers again
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 578Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: