Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1862 Queen Victoria Small Date One Penny Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 744Next Topic  
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  12:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add stoll to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
possible 1862 small date
and a hole like blob in queens hair. I dont think its been drilled and it looks like that the rest of her bun is with in the hole. if this is an error what type of error is this please?
cheers

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17337 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an error, it is PMD
There is no way for that to happen during the striking of the
coin and as well you can see where the metal is displaced.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
74939 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just damage, probably deliberate.

to the CCF!
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ey up jimmyd
i am not sure what I am looking at this why I am posting my coins for hope some one tells me what they are in error or not error and to be honest about anything that is to be seen on a coin that I post lol.
I have collected hundreds of coins in the years but don't have a clue about what I'm actually looking at. only just starting to learn the in and outs of coins.
but not saying that I am correct, but as an ex shopfitter where I have drilled into a lot of metal, the holes look different to the one on here. better view with magnifying glasses. one end of the hole is also deeper as where the other side is more or less flat the to coin it self.
thanks jimmyd
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
838 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, someone tried to drill a hole or punch something onto the coin and it had seen some circulation after that attempted process.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a tank drove over it
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
11492 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with the above.

I am old enough to remember big pre-decimal pennies in circulation, and I'm afraid they got very badly treated, especially by schoolkids. The temptation of a coin with a very low face value but a very large surface area meant that they were routinely kicked around schoolyards, placed onto railroad tracks, crushed between rocks, drilled or made the 'victims' of chemistry experiments when the science teacher wasn't looking. It was always a shame to find a key date penny that had been deliberately damaged. I seem to remember reading the results of a coin survey in an old magazine (circa 1971) where the author said that about 5% of the 20,000 pennies he examined had post-mint damage.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so what exactly is post mint damage ple ASE
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
silly question ignore that one please lol
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
661 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The small date 1862 penny looks like this:

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hogarth thank you
i reposted the coin on this site as some one on here only couple weeks back said that he believes it is a small date as well as he mentioned some numbers think he said 2 over 6 if I remember right but all my post have been removed since then not sure why but heyho. not sure why but at the same time it states I'min the us and can not change to uk where I am. tried it not avn it
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 744Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: