Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Identifying Coins Authenticity And Value Please (Id: 8 Reales, 1811, Zacatecas Mint Mark)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 797Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2022  1:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 10611800 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Help finding coin value if it's real and what kind of coin do I have thank you

Bedrock of the Community
United States
48409 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2022  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
599 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2022  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be a Provisional realist coin (8 reales, 1811, Zacatecas mint mark, first type L.V.O.)
https://www.banxico.org.mx/banknote...ml#collapse3
I cannot vouch for its authenticity. You can use the provided information to research its potential value.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Learn More...
United States
120506 Posts
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2022  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 10611800 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and thank you for the input
Learn More...
United States
26063 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2022  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@106, first welcome to CCF. Second, I have moved your thread over to the world coin subforum to see if we can get some of our experts to take a look at this. It may take them several days, so in the mean time, can you please add the weight and diameter of this coin to the thread? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2022  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could you also please try and post much more detailed close up pictures? Your coin (if real) is an insurgent issue with the cross on the front mountain and Castles and Pomegranates on the shield side instead of the Castles and Lions on the Royalist issues. It is not an 8 reales, does not have the 8R designation between "Gratia" and the date. Could be a minor, there were 1/2 real, 1 real and 2 reales made as well as 8 reales. The 2 and the 8 have the numeric designation, the smaller ones are identified by weight so we need size and weight. Zacatecas LVO coins tend to be overweight and are of a very high silver content. The Insurgents (War of Independence) took Zacatecas in October 1810 and held the city through May 1811. They confiscated large amounts of silver from the local mines and city coffers. They needed it in coin form so they could pay the troops so they set up a rudimentary mint and made these coins. When Zacatecas was taken back by the Royalists in May 1811, the dies were altered and LVO coinage continued for a short time until new dies could be created that mimicked the current production coming out of Mexico City. Most early Zacatecas coinage is known to be crude, attesting to the problems getting a quality mint up and running in war time.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Pillar of the Community
United States
2671 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2022  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting piece which looks to me like a cast fantasy souvenir based on an 8R. From looking at Heritage Auctions, all these coins showed a denomination next to the date. The 2R and 8R's spell out ZACATECAS but not the smaller 1R. The hill is the wrong shape. The lettering is soft, unlike the struck coins.

Here's a 1R for comparison.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...duid-1417884
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
11/18/2022 6:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2022  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the coin looks cast in the photos. We still need to know the size and weight.
I was unaware that the 1 real showed the denomination, the 1/2 real does not.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Pillar of the Community
United States
2671 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2022  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad 10611800 displayed his coin. I learned something new, and if I ever have a chance to buy one I'll consider it. The minors are not very expensive, but they're also not that easy to find. Authenticity is crucial, and crude designs are easy to mimick.
Edited by thq
11/18/2022 3:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2022  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zacatecas early coins from the War of Independence period are fascinating coins to collect. Some of the 8 reales are so poorly struck that you are lucky to be able to identify the coin at all and you really have to "adjust" your acceptable condition thresholds.
-Mark Twain
Pillar of the Community
United States
2671 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2022  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 2R which is almost an exact match. The denomination is at the top. The 1181 date is also the same.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...duid-1417832

If genuine this is a $500+ coin IMO. I'm still skeptical though.
Edited by thq
11/18/2022 5:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2022  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be legit. Really need some clearer more detailed photos.
-Mark Twain
Pillar of the Community
United States
1590 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2022  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you look closer on top of the crown we see 2R so the 2R denomination is placed correctly. Although its been awhile since I bought a few 2R LVO's due to the recent INSANITY in this field of Latin American Coinage. See here: https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...duid-1417832

The weights are variable on these pieces but generally in the same ballpark and the pieces crude particularly for this earlier style. The piece pictured has the correct legends, the date is retrograde (reversed), the 2R is placed correctly (value above crown) and for all you bibliophiles out there see Superior Stamp & Coin Co. Buddy De Silva Collection, 2/1978 L1643 - one of the finest known as a comparison example along with this link above. Does it contain trace Au? Hope so ... <VVBG>. JPL
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2023  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 10611800 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2023  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 10611800 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SORRY FORGOT TO ADD it WEIGHS A LITTLE OVER 7grams

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 797Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: